Wouldnt you know it.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So first off Happy Fourth of July!

So I was making burnt ends and about 3-4 hours into my cook on them, my smoker went belly up. I am able to finish them up in the oven so dinner is not a complete mess LOL

I am sure i can get a new control panel, and a new heating element but its served us well over the last few years and its time for an upgrade anyway,

What we had was a Master Built 40" electric smoker. I am thinking that a pellet grill might be in my future, would like to stay away from Charcoal, I am just too lazy to keep it going lol

what are you pit masters running out there? I am not in a rush to get a new one, figure I would shop around and ask what other folks are using.

thanks, and enjoy your bbq!

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
I have the large traeger that gets hot enough to grill on. It is the one that looks like a grill. It has more insulation on it than the round ones.

Ask and you may find out, don't ask and you will never know.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Wifi control? And here I was feeling guilty for having a pellet feeder.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anybody who seriously smokes will use wood and lump charcoal - Oak or Pecan for me. ...but I am from Kansas City and it is not the BBQ headquarters of the world for nothing. I have a hi-low one that you can definitely grill on the low side. 3 logs can get me through the night once you learn how to control the in/out air flow.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I love my green mountain with wifi. I used to have a real wood smoker and the pellet truly has great control and does fantastic job.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sctip;n653845 said:
Wifi control? And here I was feeling guilty for having a pellet feeder.

I am a techno geek after all lol

Yea I have thought about going the firebox\smoker route but with this I can sell off the grill and have 1 cooker as well as ditch the propane

I use Hickory,Pecan, Apple, depending on what i am doing. I got about 5 years of use out of this one. Started out with a smoke box inside a grill.

I'm still old fashioned. I use a $40 barrel smoker. I keep it fed with lump coal and mesquite because I grew up in Texas. I like the thick bark in a bird that mesquite gives me.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I never did get a good smoke ring with the Masterbuilt, I did get good bark with it though.Never I do Babybacks, Brisket and Burnt ends. good smoke flavor, just no ring

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
It was cool at first to cook hburgers and steaks. There are something that need a grill and not a smoker.

rjl45

Clown Fish
just_tim;653849 said:
I'm still old fashioned. I use a $40 barrel smoker. I keep it fed with lump coal and mesquite because I grew up in Texas. I like the thick bark in a bird that mesquite gives me.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
+1 mesquite
If you get the right temperature, nothing tastes better!

After reading this, I guess I'm old fashioned. I use a barrel smoker with firebox on the side. A few bricks of charcoal as base and throw the wood on and manage the fire.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sctip;n653858 said:
It was cool at first to cook hburgers and steaks. There are something that need a grill and not a smoker.

so steaks and burgers dont come out like a grill?

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
They all have a smoke flavor. The smoker I have gets over 400° so yes it will grill like a regular grill with the taste. Like I said, it was cool at first but, something's shouldn't be smokes. IMO.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thats my concern, not sure i would go for a smoked steak lol
Looking at the bradley smokers too. buddy of mine has one and he loves it

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have a Traeger and I love it. It is hit or miss in the wind though, doesn't keep as consistent temp as I'd like. My friend has the Green Mountain and says the metal is thicker and keeps more consistent temps. Regardless, I use my smoker way more than my grill. I love to make salmon, chicken breasts, whole chicken, ribs, and brisket. Good stuff!!!

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
TheRealChrisBrown;653873 said:
I have a Traeger and I love it. It is hit or miss in the wind though, doesn't keep as consistent temp as I'd like. My friend has the Green Mountain and says the metal is thicker and keeps more consistent temps. Regardless, I use my smoker way more than my grill. I love to make salmon, chicken breasts, whole chicken, ribs, and brisket. Good stuff!!!
That's very true the barrel shaped o es are thin metal and makes holding a temp an issue in windy weather. I've snakes in a snow storm on mine though.

Please excuse the background I am currently building an outside kitchen and pergola to go over all of it.