wp40 Concerns

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Thinking about getting a wp40, but have a couple concerns, hoping you guys can clear this up for me

1. I have an external overflow on my 180 (its not drilled), Im worried the wave pulse the wp40 creates in the water will mess with the way the overflow box and u-tubes work, it all works off water levels, gravity and siphon. this is the main concern as the reason for adding the wp40 would be to remove the Hydors and get the water "wavin", if this will affect the overflow than it kind of pointless for now.

2. The internal part of the overflow box is just about as low as it can go, gives me about a 1" from the rim, but theres a center glass support that runs the width of the tank in the middle that makes it about 3/4" from the water surface to the bottom og the support, am I gonna splash water everywhere? Or will I need to customize the overflow boxes so I can drop the water level lower? If so how far to drop the level?

You will probably have to use the "else" mode because the wave modes make a wicked wave. Splashing is highly likely with your setup unless you turn the pump down way low but then you will need two. The else mode is a random mode that moves tons of water but doesnt create the wave moving back and forth. Waves like that scare me on any tank. It just seems like its a lot of stress on the tank. Great pump anyway. I have 3 in use for about 3 months and I am very happy. MP-40 is going up for sale soon...

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;263553 said:
Thinking about getting a wp40, but have a couple concerns, hoping you guys can clear this up for me

1. I have an external overflow on my 180 (its not drilled), Im worried the wave pulse the wp40 creates in the water will mess with the way the overflow box and u-tubes work, it all works off water levels, gravity and siphon. this is the main concern as the reason for adding the wp40 would be to remove the Hydors and get the water "wavin", if this will affect the overflow than it kind of pointless for now.

2. The internal part of the overflow box is just about as low as it can go, gives me about a 1" from the rim, but theres a center glass support that runs the width of the tank in the middle that makes it about 3/4" from the water surface to the bottom og the support, am I gonna splash water everywhere? Or will I need to customize the overflow boxes so I can drop the water level lower? If so how far to drop the level?
I have an mp10 on my 40 breeder with an overflow box on it. I just had to lower the box inside the tank a bit to compensate for the low part of the wave. I think I lowered mine and 1/4 in. No big deal you will hear the surge of the wave in the box sometimes, but it's never lost prime or overflowed in the 6+ months it's been running...

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Good feed back, any more input??