WTB: LED Options

Ok, so I have a 40gal breeder that I am looking to set up as a coral tank. I am new to corals so I will probably start with some beginners, but ultimately I would love to have a variety of SPS, Shrooms, and quite possibly a BTA. What is the best (and most affordable!!!) LED options? There are just so many companies out there and some of them get kind of costly.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
If someone that doesn't want the LEDs that wirick ordered, I'm sure you can sneak in. I love being cheap, that's why I chose the Chinese units. I have no idea on my PAR readings but others have measured on their tanks and they seem comparable to 250w MH bulbs. The Evolution LEDs are the cheap ones, AquaIlluminations being the high end ones. OR are you asking about a DIY fixture?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What kind of lights are you running now? You should be able to start with some simple corals in the mean time, most zoas, leathers and even chalice corals. I am currently running PC bulbs on my BC29 and have had success with SPS for a month now, they are just really high in the tank.

As far as leds how much are you willing to spend? As there are a ton of options out there. like Jaime said the cheap 120w units are super nice for the price but if you want options like auto dimmers (sun rise/set modes), you are going to need to cough up some serious cash. djkms has some sick units, but I think he sold a kidney to get them.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
LotusElise;90066 said:
Ok, so I have a 40gal breeder that I am looking to set up as a coral tank. I am new to corals so I will probably start with some beginners, but ultimately I would love to have a variety of SPS, Shrooms, and quite possibly a BTA. What is the best (and most affordable!!!) LED options? There are just so many companies out there and some of them get kind of costly.
Get a hold of wirick181, he has the lights from the gb. They are sending new ones and I think he has extras now

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

phillipj2

Butterfly Fish
Go to rapidled.com a kit for your tank is about 250. That is dimmible and they are Cree xps good stuff but you have to build it. Whenever you on a budget diy is the only way to go.

KhensuRa;90118 said:
What kind of lights are you running now? You should be able to start with some simple corals in the mean time, most zoas, leathers and even chalice corals. I am currently running PC bulbs on my BC29 and have had success with SPS for a month now, they are just really high in the tank.

As far as leds how much are you willing to spend? As there are a ton of options out there. like Jaime said the cheap 120w units are super nice for the price but if you want options like auto dimmers (sun rise/set modes), you are going to need to cough up some serious cash. djkms has some sick units, but I think he sold a kidney to get them.
I don't have lights yet. Hell, I don't even have the tank set up yet (waiting until I have the minimums before I set it up). And at this point in time I have been having a hell of a time getting my stupid 125 up and safe to transport the fish that came with it into the tank. I tossed them into a 55 gal until the 125 is stable (and the fish are not happy with that, plus I have an algae bloom going in the 55 right now).