WTF I woke up to this....

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are you dosing kalkwasser? Is it a phyto bloom(green) or bacterial(white)? Is a pump stirring something up?

rghering

Cleaner Shrimp
I haven't dos'd at all this month waiting on my dosing pumps to show up, its a brownish green cloud, so I was thinking phyto myself. I've shut off my circulation pumps now as well.
Any other ideas on how to get it to clear up?? Other than killing the lights for 3 days..

rghering

Cleaner Shrimp
Temp ranges between 77 and 80 night and day. I do have livestock that mess's with the substrate but never that bad.

BTW tank is getting more and more mucky as the day goes on.. I just did a 40 gallon water change, doesn't look like its done any good. Also just ordered more salt as I found out 40 gallons worth was all I had.. lol..
ordered some chemipure and a bulk of carbon, local stores ( Quality farm and Ranch lol ) only had a small amount of carbon .

That's weird that it happened so suddenly. You had nothing better to do today, right? LOL

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you have a clam? One day mine went nuts and spawned - make the water really murky, ended up changing out a lot of water and running carbon. Took a few days. Also have read about Calerpa micro algae going sexual. Do you have Calerpa?

rghering

Cleaner Shrimp
No Clams in the tank. UPDATE: Just had a buddy bring by his test kit, just in case mine was faulty..

Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Specific Gravity 1.026
Salinity 36
Temp 79.3
PH 8.4
Ammonia 0
I don't have a phosphate test so can't test that..
Tank looks worst today than yesterday. I was loaned 100 gallons of salt so I'm gona do a massive water change here shortly.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good call on the WC, clams are not the only thing that spawns, many corals are broadcast spawners, and that is what your tank looks like to me (I am no expert), and after such an event you should expect an elevated nutrient load, and maybe some stinky water.

xsocali

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Go get some Kent Marine Pro Clear and use that
and use a filter sock and it will clear up.real fast.
No need for all the water changes.

rghering

Cleaner Shrimp
So an update. I 2nd day shipped a bunch of crap to get this done.. *MAN thats costly*

I got some new GFO, Carbon, filtersocks, that Proclear from Kent marine and some mech filter pads. As well as a cheap chineese protein skimmer. And more salt..
Cost with shipping? 200 bucks.

Changed out everything that needed it, put the socks in place, added the filter pads and the skimmer. Mixed some salt in my 55 gallon barrel just in case..

Its now been 3 days and here is my tank now..

WhooHoo.. nearly clear again..but I have some damaged corals, lost 2 turbo snails.. and my RTBA's don't look too well. No fish died.

BTW they are a bitch to get working but the little cheap air driven skimmers on ebay for 37 bucks works ok, but it fills the cup about every 4 hours with water..

Now to go buy a REAL skimmer..