Your scape then and now?

I literally can't wait until I can have a before and after picture that looks as great as these. Any tips to stacking? My 75 is stacked a little against the glass and I have a lot of dead zones. I finally figured out my scape for my 14 gal, but I need another powerhead. Soon enough..

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
There are a few different schools of thought on stacking. Some like reef putty, some like pvc and drilling, and some like acrylic rods. My next tank I will avoid stacking against the walls of the tank whenever possible. My back glass has a lot of weight against it and I hate the dead zones it creates. My strategy with this scape was to build them like card houses, so that there would be flow under and around all the rocks and limit surface contact with the sand, although it made many caves and did indeed reduce dead zones it is prone to collapse when moving things around. Here are some links to get you started.
http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/100520-aesthetics-aquascaping.html
http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/111388-aesthetics-aquascaping-part-2-a.html
http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/119589-aesthetics-aquascaping-iii.html

And then there is always Scott Fellman

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Plan out what corals you want and how you want them to grow in. In a year, or so, if you still see that much of your rock then you will have done something wrong. I just stack the rocks up so that they are stable - once they get covered in coral, you want to be able to take them out.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have all of my rocks epoxied together to prevent collapse. I also had planned on either a blue dot jawfish or a diamond goby so collapse was a concern. I made sure to stack my rock first and then add sand so the rocks couldn't shift down.

I also have no rocks touching the back glass. I have a cube so it looked appealing to my eye to have an island look, but I also don't have many dead spots.

What epoxy did you use? I do like the natural look, I have one massive rock that I might use as a small island in the middle, and I really like the valley look, so I might make two valleys but that might be too hard to get the right flow. This is tough haha. I know I plan on getting the eco drift 8.0 for my tank, so that should help and I also have a wp25, and the tank has two returns, each having two of the "heads?" Will that do for a 125 gal?

Still trying to figure out what to do with some of my rocks since I have one massive one.

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
I try to keep as little rock as possible on the sand bed. this limits the amount of dead spots possible. My tank i have 4 points where my rock is in the sand and then i stack or make arches/shelfs on top of those.
Basically im suggesting to stay away from a "Pile" Of rocks. This will prohibit any dead zones and keep good flow to circulate the tank.

IMO i think you will be best off getting another power head. A Wp40 would be best for that tank. Or mp40 depending on how much you wanna put into this. Try and angle the returns towards the back to also limit dead spots.
Good luck