Zeovit system like it? Hate it?

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Has any of the sps people used this system? If so what was you experience? Thinking about trying it. Ive seen lots of nice tanks that use it but just dont know.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
My boy has been running the zeo system for 3 yrs on his 300dd. I have been there from day one it's a super system. It's costly at 1st but once you pass the 3rd phase it gets cheap. That is why I am going to be running the full zeo system on my 200dd. I know the whole thing about it if you want to know more pm me I can give you my number I can tell you everything about it.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It is not necessary. My opinion is that by the time that people are at the level of self awareness that they go to it, they are also at a level of awareness to do most of the things necessary to have a good tank without it... experience, patience, don't overfeed, good skimmer, etc. My guess is that most people who use it are now regimented enough to quit and still have really good results.

I run my SPS systems without zeo, carbon or GFO and I don't feed my corals. I just have big simmers, water changes and super stable parameters with best of breed type of SPS lighting. You can welcome to come by and see them and see if the colors are any better than what you have seen with zeo.

I guess, first things first... what problems are you having that you are considering zeovit to solve?

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well no matter what you do you won't get the same colors as the zeo system tey have things that reduce the amount of zooanthelia in the sps it self to bring out brighter colors. The zeo system also allows you to overstock. Also has specific things for Lps sps. I have seen a lot of ppls tanks with the same sps but the ones In the zeo system look waaaaaaay more hot. But this is from what I have seen in the past 3 years. The whole point of zeo is to have NSW tank and have natural colors and rapid growth.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They reduce the zooanthelle amount by growing bacteria that consume the N and P allowing the corals to to somewhat starve - starving corals have less diatoms in the tissue and some appear a lot brighter, brown corals have an excess. You can do this with GFO, biopellets, vodka, good husbandry, etc. What this effectively does it makes the carbon based oxic bacteria grow in the zeolite or water column to eat the N and P, instead of in the sand bed where the anoix eat the N and P - and you shift the equilibrium to rely on the product and you are dependent on it. It is hard if you quit because the bacteria that rely on the carbon will die without the food and you have already killed lots of the anoxic bacteria in the sand and it will take months and months for it to repopulate. They have food and aminos and similar stuff that really does not do too much either, but it turns into N and P eventually which does do something.

I ran it for about 18 months in 2008ish, 100% according to the directions, with supplies that I got from a guy who quit the hobby. I can assure you that you can have just as good of colors without it. It isn't snake oil, or anything. The system can work if you follow it. However, it does not do anything that you cannot do without it and accomplish in other ways.

There are tons of threads all over reef central about people who use and love it, as well as people who used it, loved it and now no longer use it anymore and still love their tanks. The one thing that they all have in common is that the individual reefer is self aware and regimented enough to probably make just about any system work.

You can also reach out to the TOTM guys, farmers, fraggers, etc and get their opinions. Some like, some don't, but all have awesome tanks with very good colors.

IMO, there are other factors that you can change to get better color and this might be near the bottom of list if you asked me what to try.

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
yah i can see that, but to achieve a true ULNS with a heavily over stocked system you would need to run a huge skimmer witch would only effect about 30-40% of the bacterial colonies in the water, then you would have to also carbon does or run some biopellets to get the same results as the zeo system witch. i read a amazing study of bacteria in the water and how skimmers, carbon dosing effect the colonies {http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/3/aafeature}.so the way i see it why run multiple things to achieve the same thing that a single system will.in my view i think it is easier to run a zeo system because you now dont have to worry about GFO, carbon dosing or macro algae so no more trimming down macros. with the zeo all you have to do is is change the zeolites every 6weeks and does a little oh yah lol and tumble the zeolites a few times a day.i guess it all comes down to how much you want to do with your tank i rather have a single system do it all for me then run multiple things to get the same results.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im just sitting back reading peoples thoughts. Its funny I knew one persons response be for he even posted lol

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have often wondered about the science of zeovit systems. I really know very little about it. If any one has links to some very good non biased research on the subject I'd love to read. Honestly a few of the hobbiest based posts I've seen gave me a first Impression that its a kind of a pita.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ThunderTwonk;268897 said:
I have often wondered about the science of zeovit systems. I really know very little about it. If any one has links to some very good non biased research on the subject I'd love to read. Honestly a few of the hobbiest based posts I've seen gave me a first Impression that its a kind of a pita.
This was a decent read. It is hard to find a non biased read.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/advanced-reefs/65350-what-zeovit.html

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The less maintenance I have to do on my system the more I get to enjoy it :)

Zeo is way too time intensive imo.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2