Zeozym

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does anyone have any experience with this product and it's effectiveness at helping to prevent Cyanobacteria blooms or any if it's other claims?

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
True, but it seems after the first bloom vodka controls nitrates and P04, thereby limiting cyno. Honestly my cure all for cyno is flow and low nuits in the tank.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
andyrm66;147787 said:
True, but it seems after the first bloom vodka controls nitrates and P04, thereby limiting cyno. Honestly my cure all for cyno is flow and low nuits in the tank.
Agreed, my only cyano is in my fuge. I have not heard of the mentioned product though. I'd check around a lot before trying anything.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sure vodka would be a great choice and certainly cheaper but this is for a 28g nano and I don't believe Vodka would be a good choice for such a small tank also no room to have a delivery system for it which in truth is my biggest deterrent. The Zeozym can be added weekly and I think would just be easier for a nano IMO.

Of course low nutrients is best solution but I have found that nutrient export on these very small tanks (or at least mine) can be tricky and once you have a cyano issue its tough to control. Right now I only have a small problem with it and haven't decided the best course of action. Until I find a product that may help keep it in check more easily I will be reducing feeding and going lights out for a few days.

If thee is someone here is successfully dosing vodka or some other form of organic carbon on a nano sized tank please let me know how your doing it and how its been working for you.

I was very intrigued by the claims of this product. I know I know if it sounds to good to be true it is and thus the reason I was looking for other peoples experience. I found several posts on RC as well as other sites that swear by it but we all know how reliable that is. :)

Thanks all for the input!

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zeovit products are great. Im in the process of upgrading to a full zeo reef. Never used zeozym but the zeo coral snow does the same thing with the added benifet of feeding your corals.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Keep us posted on your decisions. I moved to a larger tank partly because of algae blooms and stability in my old 40. Small tanks are definitely harder to balance than larger ones ( in general). I'd love to have a couple more options if the same situation pops up for me.

I had a dino issue going on with my nano and I added a kalk reactor and started dosing .5ml of sugar water (fully saturated) a day. Within a week they were gone... Not sure if it was one or the other or a combination of the two, but the tank is spotless. In-fact I've since stopped dosing the sugar to try to keep some nutrients in the tank for my corals. I feed very heavy and skim heavy, but so far so good. :)

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm running kalk but my ph is still low 7.8-8.0 so in my case I think that's why the kalk isn't helping much in that department.

How much are you adding? I have 100% of my top off running through the reactor (not fully saturated)...

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I run may kalk in my ATO so 100% as well. I mix about 1/4 teaspoon with 1 gallon of ro/di and my ATO replaces a gallon about every 4-5 days. I only use 1/4 teaspoon otherwise the kalk starts to build up on the bottom of the container. So in reality there is probably closer to 1-2 teaspons in the 1.5 Gallon ATO container at all times. consider there is kalk sediment on the bottom at all times It should be fully saturated or very close to it.

Wow, guess you could try to increase your evap (run a fan) so you can add more? Shocked you're having pH issues! Is there a lid on the tank?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know right. Its been very frustrating. I even bought a new PH probe and a separate checker to make sure the reading was accurate. There is a lid of sorts, basically just a couple pieces of glass that stand about a quarter inch off the top of the tank with about a one inch open gap between the the pieces of glass. For the most part its only purpose is to help with jumpers and for the few time our dumb cat has decided to jump on top of the tank. There is plenty of open areas for evap though.

This is a pretty old pic of the tank but the top is still the same.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
im actually having another piece cut this week that is completely open in the middle. This way there is a guard something like euro bracing around the edge to help with jumpers but it wil still be mostly open. The glass is cutting my par way down too so that alone was reason for getting rid of it. It will be very interesting to see how much it changes. The Glass shop was supposed to be done today or tomorrow.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Indeed i did and that would be ideal. The problem I ran into with that is the front is bowed and I couldn't think of a pretty way to make the frame for the screen to fit nicely. If other have done this for a bowed tank I would love to see how they did it. Im not worried about the cat anymore hence the big opening in the new piece of glass. The new of the tank has worn off so he pretty much just ignores it now. :)

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks some of these ideas are pretty cool I really like the one in the first link. Im going to have to read through that and see where he got or how he made that curved piece.