Zoa garden

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So if I was going to setup a 3.5 gallon zoa garden, what would I need to consider?

I was thinking bare bottom, rock, CUC, maybe a pair of sexy shrimp.

Small heater and pump to move the water.

Led lighting.

Would I need to consider other filtration?

Or would weekly water changes take care of it?

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zoa garden

Top off? I would think that salinity could swing quick. Going to do a 5 gal pretty soon, I'll be following.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Although something like a small AC20 on the back for mechanical filtration couldn't hurt...I think you'd be OK with just running it barebottom and doing water changes. If you rinse the rock well ahead of time, you shouldn't end up with too much sediment blowing around the tank.

I definitely agree though...an ATO would be almost a necessity. I had trouble keeping my 20g stable before adding an ATO, and it only evaporated about 800ml / day.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zoa garden

Tune has a mini osmolater(sp) for $100, which seems a little extreme for a tank that small. I was going to try it in mine, but my tank has a small filter area built in.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have that Tunze nano osmolator. You can actually program it to pump at different rates depending upon the tank size. It has an auto-off feature that stops the pump if it has been pumping for more than the allotted time (can't remember the exact number...but something like 2 minutes). Mine is setup so that it can't add more than 1/2 gal to my tank before shutting off.

It'd probably still overflow a 2gal in a hurry...but I'm not sure there are many options to prevent that other than running a controller...and who wants to do that on a 2gal nano build. :p

I've had no troubles with the Tunze...it's been running flawlessly since setting it up ~2 months ago.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;237168 said:
following. been sitting on a 2 gallon bow front lol
That must be incredibly uncomfortable!! :) If I did that it would bow on the sides too!

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm thinking about a poor mans IV drip system, wonder how often the evap conditions on a small tank would change.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zoa garden

jahmic;237196 said:
I have that Tunze nano osmolator. You can actually program it to pump at different rates depending upon the tank size. It has an auto-off feature that stops the pump if it has been pumping for more than the allotted time (can't remember the exact number...but something like 2 minutes). Mine is setup so that it can't add more than 1/2 gal to my tank before shutting off.

It'd probably still overflow a 2gal in a hurry...but I'm not sure there are many options to prevent that other than running a controller...and who wants to do that on a 2gal nano build. :p

I've had no troubles with the Tunze...it's been running flawlessly since setting it up ~2 months ago.
Good to know, I think I will order one, that's about the last thing I'll need for my tank, other than a place to put it

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;237199 said:
I'm thinking about a poor mans IV drip system, wonder how often the evap conditions on a small tank would change.
That's probably a good option. If you put the end of the drip line right at the waterline, you may be able to get away with allowing the break in siphon to keep the water level constant. In other words, once the water level in the tank hits the end of the drip line, the surface tension of the water should prevent more water from exiting the line and entering the tank. Having the IV drip would give you a back up safety feature to prevent too much top-off water from entering the tank in a short amount of time.

I considered doing this on the 20, but didn't have room to run a container above the tank. I did dig up a few posts on RC though, and it seems to work OK. I don't think you'd have to worry about evaporation rate too much if the surface tension trick actually works to keep water from flowing out of the drip when you get to the desired level in the tank. I HAVE used this in a terrarium...but overfilling was much less of a concern with that setup.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, I might give this a shot. I'm thinking a kitchen counter setup, with the ATO water in the cabinet above, drill a tiny hole for the tubing, and have at it :)

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You could just have a bucket sitting near the tank and put a mug full of water in every day. If you are worried about evap, just put some thin acrylic over it - it will let enough light through for zoas in a small tank.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've got one of those JBJ cubey's that I setup a few months back. It has had live rock in it, and a couple of zoas. Being that it has a lid, I get very little evaporation, and only add 1/8 cup of water every week or so.