A Golden Reef Tank (v2)

NickP

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
WTF Dude.....LOL. I can't even comprehend how all that fits together thru the photos! Would love to come check it out sometime though if that is possible! Pretty sick work though. Well done!!!!!

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Looking through all of the pictures again makes us all appreciate the quality of this build.....again! Thanks for re-building the post, that must have been a pretty consuming project as well. Which site did you choose to host the pictures?

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
NickP;n673905 said:
WTF Dude.....LOL. I can't even comprehend how all that fits together thru the photos! Would love to come check it out sometime though if that is possible! Pretty sick work though. Well done!!!!!
So much was lost with all of the pictures going away on the previous thread. All of the explanations along the way.... I'll put together a video as soon as I have water flowing and the tank cycling. That will help tie everything together for everyone out there.

I'm definitely going to have some sort of "open house" or party or club meeting at the house once water is flowing and rock is in the tank. There won't be a lot to see as far as livestock, but people might enjoy seeing things in the early stages. I will be doing a lot of electronics automation over the years outside of the standard Apex type controllers. So, everyone will be able to see the before and after.

(I got your PM. I'll respond soon. Today, I need to dig into the light rack on the display and start making progress again)

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
TheRealChrisBrown;n673909 said:
Looking through all of the pictures again makes us all appreciate the quality of this build.....again! Thanks for re-building the post, that must have been a pretty consuming project as well. Which site did you choose to host the pictures?
Thanks Chris. Re-posting the pictures was labor intensive but I couldn't stand seeing the old dead thread with 14 pages of nearly worthless info due to the missing pics we all were referencing in the conversation. Now, I have pages of pictures with no explanation. :)

I'm using Flickr. I think I'll have to pay a modest monthly fee once the trial runs out but it's better than the annual $400 photobucket wants with a gun to my head. I'm all for companies making money. They're providing a service. I'm less inclined to pay someone money under the circumstances PB created. (I'm using a lot of restraint to keep that statement professional and family friendly.)

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I worked on the framework that will support the hood and lights on the display this weekend. The entire hood will roll out and suspend off of the front end of the tank with 60" heavy duty glides.

I will build an acrylic shield that will protect the glides from splashing. Hopefully I will be able to keep that area dry enough to prevent corrosion.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The back side in the filtration room. I will be using a cable chain guide on the electric cables so that everything is well managed and protected as the rack rolls out and in. I am on hold with the rest of this rack while I wait for more fasteners.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I also picked up a few more pieces of the aluminum strut so I was able to complete the mounting of the Reefbreeder LED's over the QT tanks. The tanks are pretty dirty right now. They're also scratched because they were originally salvaged from a store years ago. I modified them and buffed them as well as I could (or was willing to). They're QT, so I'm not extreemly concerned that they aren't show quality. They do the job.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
That light rack is nothing besides fantastic. Hey you could probably pull it out and sunbathe under it if you wanted to lol
I'll have to be careful once the camera is up. You might catch me in my speedos lying by the beach catching some rays.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Quackenbush - I'll make a note to check out imgur if Flickr doest work out. So far, it seems to be pretty user friendly. Only, it doesn't have good mobile support. You can't pull the BCC codes from their mobile app or through a mobile device (at least apple devices).

So, you have to do it the old fashioned way at home. Now what am I supposed to do while driving 85 mph on 470 weaving in and out of traffic? I guess I'll have to start a Twitter feed or Facebutt account.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I've finally committed to lighting on the display. I'm going with 3 x ATI T5-HO fixtures with 4 x 54w bulbs each. In between each of those T5 fixtures, I'm going to be mounting a total of 4 Radion G4 fixtures. I'll adjust intensity as needed. So, a total of 12 x 54 T5-HO bulbs and 4 Radions. It's packed wall to wall with lights. Lights have been ordered and they're on the way! (Thanks Cris!)

Etoimos

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for setting up the new thread. I saw the one over on RC, but did not look here. For the Radions, you using the 15s or 30s? Four 30s and the T5s seems like a ton of light on this tank... but coverage should be about 127%. lol

And from the old thread:

halmus;n674240 said:
That's a good question. Yes, a big part of it was aesthetics. I like the look externally, and it covers up the fact that I had runs with the solvent while building or modifying all of the internal acrylic. Also, I overlapped as many of the joints as possible while doing this, which means I have that much extra support on the joints. And, the extra 1/4" thickness adds that much more support. It was a lot of extra work, but I want to be completely confident I won't be blowing seams down the road.
I completely agree about the aesthetic of skinning them in white. The extra joint strength and thickness are a big bonus as well. I've got a laser cutter/engraver and work with acrylic (not much fab work though) and seeing pics of your skinned tanks has made me was to build a new "race sump" for my little 60g Cube. I've been thinking of doing some LED edge lit engravings, but was not sure on how to protect the LED. Skinning the whole thing gave me an idea.