Neil82's build-off competition entry

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello,
Making an entry to the competition at the last minute. I'm glad to be posting this thread, because I didn't think I would have the time or resources to participate. Or a place in our home to put another tank. Then we won the 10 gallon AIO cube at Reef Ed today and away we go. We have already decided to put the tank in our daughter's room. And that is exactly how far along we are with planning of this tank build at the moment. I know we want to plan this tank build with safety in mind since it will be in a child's room. And I want to incorporate my wife's ideas as we plan and have this be a family tank for everyone to enjoy.
I'll be back with updates as we figure out a stand and the rest of equipment needed.

Cost breakdown:
$129.99 10 gallon waterbox AIO cube
$209.99 AI prime HD
$29.99 AI prime tank mount
$56.59 Cobalt Neo-therm 50w
$42.63 Sicce Syncra 0.5 pump (upgrade)
$30.45 Sicce Micra micra plus
$15.28 CaribSea base rock 7.68 lbs @ 1.99 lb
$20.69 sand aragonite 20 lbs
$10 bicolor pseudochromis
$2.50 red legged hermit crab
$2.50 snail
$17.99 purple whip gorg
$38.17 purple frilly gorg, golden plume gorg, and ricordea with shipping

$596.77 total to date

View attachment 14566

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
So jealous of that tank! Looking forward to seeing what you do. Love the family tank idea as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Went to Aqua Imports today and purchased substrate, dry base rock, and a heater. Still working on a plan for the stand. It's likely going to be DIY. I'll update thread soon with costs incurred to date.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Updated 1st post with cost breakdown to date. I'm using retail prices including items won in raffle. This will help keep my spending in check too.
I purchased Sicce Syncra 0.5 as upgrade to stock return pump. I read reports of stock pump being noisy and underpowered.
Stand is currently in progress. I'm hoping this thread will get pic heavy in the near future. Stay tuned.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
How are you making it more secure? Glass tops? Anchoring stand to studs with lag bolts?
Interesting family tank idea for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app
Planned safety features are GFCI outlet and bolting stand to studs in the wall. I'd like to keep the top of tank open for now. The rim of the tank will be about 35 inches from floor. In a year or so, we'll have to reevaluate. Once she can reach the top, our kiddo might want to start making additions to the reef! Any other ideas for safety or otherwise, please chime in.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Planned safety features are GFCI outlet and bolting stand to studs in the wall. I'd like to keep the top of tank open for now. The rim of the tank will be about 35 inches from floor. In a year or so, we'll have to reevaluate. Once she can reach the top, our kiddo might want to start making additions to the reef! Any other ideas for safety or otherwise, please chime in.
All good ideas! Just make sure it can not be pulled over. What a great idea for kids. I loves when my girls were 8ish and would ask people what kind of return pump people had or “what skimmer are you running”

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, I'm behind many of the other competition builds. Here is an update.
I purchased 1x4 poplar boards from home depot, cut to size, and glued them together to form a countertop for the stand. Then I sanded down the top surface and applied a coating of spar urethane. I'll keep sanding and applying finish coats until I like the look of it. Then I'll glue it down as a finished top for the stand. View attachment 14670 View attachment 14671 View attachment 14672 View attachment 14673

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm looking at photos and I think I like the green clown goby the most. Are these guys jumpers?
I had a yellow clown/coral goby and he wasn't a jumper. A quick look online and I didn't find any reference to them being jumpers. I thought I remember reading something about them eating SPS polyps, shouldn't be an issue for a colony but a frag may be an issue.

Speaking of gobies, have you thought about a Yasha goby/pistol shrimp pair?

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a yellow clown/coral goby and he wasn't a jumper. A quick look online and I didn't find any reference to them being jumpers. I thought I remember reading something about them eating SPS polyps, shouldn't be an issue for a colony but a frag may be an issue.

Speaking of gobies, have you thought about a Yasha goby/pistol shrimp pair?

I like the idea of goby/pistol shrimp pair, but according to liveaquaria description, this goby is a jumper. I'm shooting for keeping the top open and using the tank mount arm with AI prime.