Anyone have refractometer calibration fluid

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got a new refractometer and don't have any calibration fluid. Anyone in or around Se aurora have a drop I can come by and get

Sent from Earth

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Distilled can actually make you calibrate it wrong.

Swanny, why would you calibrate every time you use it? That would get old recalibrating it every week when you're doing your other tests.

cdrewferd;210938 said:
Distilled can actually make you calibrate it wrong.

Swanny, why would you calibrate every time you use it? That would get old recalibrating it every week when you're doing your other tests.
Mine gets off calibration every time I use it but I don't use it every week, maybe once every month or so during water changes.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The link says I could use distilled. The instructions says to. But the problem is I have 2 refractometer that read one level and 2 swing arms that read and are off by.005

Sent from Earth

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine hasn't changed calibration in the year that I've had it. I check it once a month, or two, and I haven't had to recalibrate it yet.

deboy69;210943 said:
The link says I could use distilled. The instructions says to. But the problem is I have 2 refractometer that read one level and 2 swing arms that read and are off by.005

Sent from Earth
I will argue with experts on some things but I don't argue with Randy on water chemistry. I think you misread.

Quote from article.

"Despite the fact that many refractometers sold to aquarists recommend calibration in pure water, such a calibration alone will not ensure accuracy for the reasons described above. So my recommendation for calibration is as follows"

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Agree that using distilled or RO water is a bad idea. I did that initially and was off by 0.004 and my tank's SG was actually 1.019 when I thought it was 1.023...which explained some coral losses early on in the hobby.

I make my own calibration fluid...but admit that I probably need to store it in a better container. I marked my pee cup and found that some water had evaporated, which changed the SG of the fluid. I'll probably make a new batch soon if you'd like some, but I live all the way in NW Denver. ;)

Here's some instructions in this link if you're up to the task: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php

To summarize that long article and make a small batch for yourself, all you need is 100ml (or 100g) of distilled (or RO/DI) water and 3.76g (estimating it to 3.7 is fine) of table salt. I opted to use natural sea salt with no additives/caking agents, as I didn't want that to throw off the accuracy, but I don't know how necessary that really is. Table salt is apparently fine per that article. That combo will give you a standard solution of 1.026 SG.

Extremely easy and accurate if you have a digital scale...if not, it's probably best to just buy some fluid. I checked my DIY stuff vs some actual calibration fluid and it was dead on accurate.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have some, but am kinda far from you as well.

Rebel

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Interesting. I have never heard of calibration fluid and have always used RO/DI water. And I calibrate it just about every time. I guess I will have to seek some of this nectar and see how badly my fishes and corals are suffering under me!

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Crap, I have some, you coulda tested here the other night. Stop by if its close for ya.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Funny thing, I have one (Hanna version), and my 1.026 calibration fluid reads 1.023 - even after calibrating the unit.