Anyone try the new FMM and Optical Sensors?

Octopi

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I need an ATO solution and trying to figure out what works best with my Apex (new 2016 model). I was thinking about getting the PMUP plus the FMM module (just the $99 module, not the flow kit just yet) plus buying a few of the new Optical Sensors that go with it. Or...maybe the breakout box option with more simple float sensors. Or...maybe something else entirely. Does anyone have any recommendations? I know the FMM and optical sensors are brand new but hoping someone has tried it and has some feedback. I am willing to pay a bit more for quality but don't want to invest in something new if it isn't reliable.

samindenver

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I hooked up the PMUP plus FMM and optical sensors a couple of weeks ago. Really happy with them. One warning, set up a sensor in the water reservoir too. If the PMUP runs dry it will over heat and burn out. Let me know if you have any questions or want to see it in action.

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
The new Aqua Medic ATO has dual optical and a mechanical for the reservoir. Really slick system with brackets and everything you need. Got one at reefstock. I really like it.

aquarius

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have had very good luck with tunze and though not quite as reliable the jbj ato is nice too. I will be utilizing the new apex soon and think it will be as good as my tunze ato's some of which are 5 years old. Anything aquamedic I'd steer clear from, as far as German designed equipment goes it's the bottom of the barrel and it shows in the quality and reliability long term.

Octopi

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I haven't been able to find anything listing what is planned to be included in the Neptune ATK. Is there a specific article or list somewhere that states what will be included? Maybe I'll just be patient and wait till something announced. I have read great things about Tunze but I travel a lot so hoping to get complete control and visibility when remotely monitoring system. My current ATO (Red Sea's basic gravity drip / float valve plus a dosing pump) has failed every single time I am away. Works nearly 100% when home, but the second I leave it craps out. Looking forward to getting a reliable solution in place.

Octopi

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the link to the video. Having the mounting makes it worth waiting for. The FMM sells for $100, the PMUP for $40, and each sensor for $25 - so I'm guessing this will be priced probably at $200ish for the kit. I'll pick up an extra sensor for the RO as well. Hope they release soon.

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
Alot of you haven't seen my system since I live in the springs. If you had, you would know that I am a huge apex fan (believe I have 16 modules right now due to number of tanks). Unfortunately, this new box will not be purchased.

Why not do your own out of other apex parts?
You will need three float switches. Two in sump for low and high points and one in your ato tank for low point.
Apex already has a breakout box for closed/on switches exactly like a float valve.

The only thing that the new apex ato/fmm does differently is record and memorize how long your average ato pump run time is. After it logs your average fill time, it ensures that the pump will not be left on for more than double the average time. You could easily do this in simple programming with the apex that you already have.

I know it's cool because its new, but apex is really trying to pull one over our head here.

So the new unit is $200. 3x float valves with mounting brackets cost $12 each. And a breakout box cost $40. That is $
76 to do this your self.

Two things to consider.
It also comes with a pump, which is rad since most ato manufacturers dont do that, but no way is this pump worth $124 . Most ato pumps for residential environments dont need to be higher then the $40.
There are two sensors and a float valve on each apex float valve for triple security blanket that the fmm will turn your pump on and off. No way! I have had every tank on my system with a float valve that shuts the main return off to ensure that there is no flooding. I test all of them every single week and have never had one fail. Dont let a snail hit your float switch and call it a day.

I am not knocking anyone who buys anything from apex, this product just seems like a check the block item from apex and I normally dont feel that way about such a great company.
Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Octopi

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
static reef i agree the markup is a bit silly but there is a convenience here. If I had a reliable solution, I wouldn't bother to switch but I need something reliable so have to buy anyway. For those of us that travel frequently, having all systems monitored by Apex is a pretty big convenience and peace of mind. Also, when you have an already very tight and busy space to work with in the sump, the mounting bracket is a huge value. I am glad the floats have worked for you but personally I haven't been so lucky. I don't know for sure that the optical sensors will be much better but am hoping so. There is always a way to get things done cheaper, but in this case, I'm ok with paying a little more for newest equipment in hopes it doesn't fail....I hope.

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
Makes sense. I guess your right that the magnetic attachments are pretty cool. I travel about 6 months out of the year (which is why I love my apex), so I get the convenience part. I guess I am just a little disappointed with apex over the cost. I think that what they normally offer is a great product at a reasonable price. Hopefully it is a great product, but I can't call this one a reasonable price. Then again, ill support any american company with the customer support that neptune systems offers.

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
Makes sense as well. When you do get some extra time I would really recommend researching the capabilities of the break out boxes though. People have done some pretty awesome stuff and the programming is a piece of cake even for a dummy like me.