Baby Pterapogon kauderni pictures

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
These guys little guys popped out of dad's mouth a little premature (notice the big yolk sacks) but they should be fine. The rest should be released in the next two days and I will post pics then.

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
In the past, the baby cardinals seem to be interested in baby brine as soon as they can permanently stay off the bottom and swim in the water column. Their yolk sacks can sustain them for 3-4 days. I think these guys are 2 days from being free swimming and ready for the baby brine (my baby brine shrimp factory is already up and running.)

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
-18" flourescent light that runs 24 hours/day
-1/4 tbs. brine shrimp eggs (brine shrimp direct 90%) in about 1.25 L of 1.025 salt water per container

I stagger each of the three containers so I always have freshly hatched brine shrimp (or if one crashes). It takes about 24 hours until one container is ready to feed.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine always do great for the first 3 weeks then they start to die off. I've started to let they stay in my fuge and they seem to do better. I have almost 2 dozen in there now at various sizes. Makes it impossible to catch them though

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice man! Document it and submit your progress on the forums. More evidence for keeping them off of the endangered list and on the threatened species list, instead.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is really cool. Keep it up folks. We can, together, preserve this hobby!!!

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
As of this morning, dad had released 14 and all of them were free swimming and looking healthy. I could tell dad had more in his mouth so I helped the process along by picking him up and gently opening his mouth (he's pretty docile after not eating for the last 20 days or so while he has been holding the developing eggs) and the rest swam out. Total 33 or 34 alive and swimming normally, 1 dead (my maroon clown thought it was delicious :) ). I will introduce the babies to fresh hatched baby brine this afternoon.

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I can tell you how excited I am about the big # too!! I've read that they can produce upwards of 50, but 19 is the most I have ever collected. Maybe after the last few spawn/hatch cycles his capacity to carry more eggs to hatch has increased. He is well fed and seems to still be getting bigger, though not as big as Chris's monster at Aquatic Art. Hopefully this won't be the last 30+ batch from him.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So cool! Great photos! Keep up the good work. Any noticeable differences between the "preemies" and the newly released babies?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Wow Brian that is so so so so AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Congrats papa!! Def keep me in mind and remember I would love to buy some from you when they are ready to go to new homes!

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow man, great progress! Let me know when you have a few ready for sale, as I'll gladly pick some up! Too cool dude!

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
SkyShark;335817 said:
So cool! Great photos! Keep up the good work. Any noticeable differences between the "preemies" and the newly released babies?

Over the last two days, their yolk sacks shrank and morphed from being externally positioned to internally positioned. The preemies are now identical to their brethren.

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Vance;335818 said:
Do you isolate the male? Or catch at night when he releases?
I went in at night 6 days ago and caught him with a net, and have kept him isolated since. After I released the rest of the babies into the breeder box, I put him back into gen pop and fed a healthy dose of garlic soaked pe mysis. Needless to say, he ate a ton!