Breeding journal: Pterapogon kauderni

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species: Pterapogon kauderni
Social Structure: Pairs
Size of Individuals: Large adults, ~4-5"
Age of Individuals: Unknown, they were out of a tank maintenance account, and had been in that tank for three years.
Date added to Tank: May 15 2008

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 2 100 gal. horse water troughs, plumbed together
Substrate Details: sand
Filtration Details: none
Water Changes: Not a lot
Water Temperature: Variable, tank gets some sunlight
Lighting: One metal halide per trough, plus some sun
Lighting Cycle: 12 hours on/off
Other Tank Inhabitants: b&w clowns

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: Various frozen, flake, freeze-dried
Feeding Schedule: 2x/day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: unknown
Spawn Time of Day: unknown
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: unknown
Courtship Details: un-witnessed
Egg Size: unknown
Egg Color: orange
Egg Count: unknown

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: July 15, 2008
Hatch Time of Day: unknown
# Days after Spawn: unknown
Larvae Description: small banggais, much more see-through

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: same as adults
Size of Larval Tank: same as adults
Substrate Details: same as adults
Other Tank Decor: same as adults
Filtration Details: same as adults
Lighting: same as adults
Lighting Cycle: same as adults
Water Changes: same as adults

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: same as adults, lots of freeze-dried and frozen cyclopeeze
Feeding Schedule: same as adults

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: July 15, 2008
Days after Hatch: 0
Date of Settlement End: July 15, 2008
Description of Fry: small adults

Grow-Out Tank Details
Temperature: same as adults
Size of Grow-Out Tank: same as adults
Substrate Details: same as adults
Other Tank Decor: same as adults
Filtration Details: same as adults
Lighting: same as adults
Lighting Cycle: same as adults
Water Changes: same as adults
Size at Transfer: N/A
Age at Transfer: N/A

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: same as adults, lots of freeze-dried and frozen cyclopeeze
Feeding Schedule: same as adults

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information: Basically, I saw a good deal on a pair of aged Banggais. I picked them up, placing them in a holding tank during my re-model. The pair surprised me with a bunch of babies. I had literally no room to pull the babies to raise them and no room for any sort of food cultures, so the babies stayed in the tank with the adults and ate what the adults ate, supplemented by the plankton floating in the tank. About 8 or so babies made it to adulthood and are now breeding themselves, though they have not yet held to term. The large male father to them is still alive.

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
By the way, I don't have _any_ photos of that male with eggs, but here's another one of my males in 2009.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks! I need to go back and make up these threads for all the old things I have evidence for. Because there are other clubs out there talking smack about MASC. Matt claims that his club is going to get way more MBI points this year than we are.

So, we need to full-on show him up. Honestly, we have a big club. I think if we all put up these journal threads then we could easily take Matt down.

hoodrat

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh no he didn't........lol Guess I need to step it up on getting rid of the corals so I can get the breeding station setup

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ummfish;50040 said:
Thanks! I need to go back and make up these threads for all the old things I have evidence for. Because there are other clubs out there talking smack about MASC. Matt claims that his club is going to get way more MBI points this year than we are.

So, we need to full-on show him up. Honestly, we have a big club. I think if we all put up these journal threads then we could easily take Matt down.
Where is all the smack talk going down!!! Tell him to come say it on our forums!!!!!!!!!!

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is Matt the only one in his club? lol
hmmmm guess I shoulda held off reporting until MASC was involved hehe.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
hurrafreak;50068 said:
Until MASC is involved??
What I meant was that all the points that I've accumulated apply to mbisite since that's where I filled out the journals. If I would have waited, I could've filled out the journals here and the points would have been applied toward MASC's total.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Throwing it out there to all the other clubs that this year, LSMAC, yes, our club is actually named Le' SMACK, will pown you all in terms of reports filed and points earned.
From here: http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/tm.aspx?m=43972

Yeah, I think SCMAS is also applying to get into the MBI, so I think Joe's loyalties are going to be tested. I repeat, though: We can take them.

@WrasseAttack: No easy way with the Banggais, unfortunately. I have a great big proven male, though. He certainly can tell the difference. So, we could work out testing if you want to.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am, but several of my first threads were over on MBI before MASC joined up. So the points from over there go to MBI, I'm afraid. That's okay, I'll be doing some more spawning reports coming up. The cleaner wrasses ought to get MASC some points. :)

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey! I'm psyched! The little Banggai popped out again after being MIA for a few weeks. This time, he's finally big enough to share a meal with the folks.

Given that this is graduation weekend and lots of CU students are out sharing uncomfortable meals with _their_ parents, I thought the dinner conversation might have gone something like this:

Banggai son: "Mom, Dad, since we're all here, there's something I've been meaning to talk about. I've made a breakthrough in my therapy...."

Dad: "Mmmphhh...."

Son: "Dad, you know I can't understand you when your mouth is full." [Ed. note: With a new mouthful of eggs! :) ]

Mom: "What was your breakthrough, son?"

Son: "Well, it's all still a little hazy, but I have this one memory from my childhood. It was of you guys. Trying to EAT me."

Mom: "Son, don't think of it so negatively. Look at it this way: It means you were much, much quicker than your siblings."

Son: "I had siblings?!?! Mom, I can't believe this...."