bristle worm question.

So about a week ago, I bought a ricordea from the fish store. Its on a sea shell. When I got it home and put in the tank I thought I saw something in the shell. Thought possibly it could be a hermit crab. Turns out its a bristle worm. From what I know of, it has not come out of the shell. The only reason I found it was a bristle worm is cause the other day when watching the tank, I knoticed it sticking out of the shell about 1 1/2 inches and not quite pencil thick. Its in my 14 biocube. I do have a neon dottyback in it but don't think he has found the worm. Should I let the dottyback have it when it finally comes out again? Or should I get it out asap? I know the dottyback can tell something is in the shell but he hasn't flipped the shell to find out yet.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Im not sure the dottyback will eat it, but i could be wrong. You really should have dipped that frag before placing in your display, that would likely have kiiled the bristle worm.

They are not bad for your system, they are scavengers so they are good for your clean up crew. I however hate them, Ive been stung numorus times and if I see them they are promtly removed and flushed

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bristle worms are pretty good cleaners. If you absolutely want it gone, get an arrow crab. But it won't harm anything unless it multiplies like crazy.

Ok, works for me. I'll keep my eye out if he pops up again. I found one of my hermits trying to get into the shell so it might be gone. And yea I should of dipped it, but it happens. Still learning everything there is to know.