Canister filter... Pros/cons

So I have been doing a lot of research trying to figure out what protien skimmer to purchase, because of all this research I have also learned that all a protien skimmer does is just remove organic crud from the tank... I had a extra canister filter (a fluval 406 rated to 100 gal) so I replaced all the media that I had in it like the foam, carbon, filter floss, and bio max... And got new foam, filter floss, and filled all the compartments up with bio max. I figured it couldn't hurt having that filter on there for extra bacteria space and for it to filter out the extra crud until I get my good skimmer... But than I got to thinking... If a protien skimmer removes the organic matter in the tank... Isn't that what a canister filter would do? I was just going to set up the canister filter so that it will build that bacteria so when I get new fish I will have a filter set up and ready to rock on a quarantine tank... So I would love to hear pros and cons from all of your experience on this subject... If I have this filter do I need a protien skimmer, should I combine this filter with a protien skimmer, should I get rid of the filter all together... I look forward to hearing your thoughts thanks all

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
There's a difference. The protein skimmer exports organic waste before it breaks down and is consumed by bacteria in your tank. The canister filter provides additional surface area to collect "crud", which then breaks down, is released into the water, and then consumed by the bacteria that have colonized the media in the filter.

One method removes waste before the nitrification process starts, the other provides additional surface area for the consumption of waste. The main disadvantage IMO is that in the event of a power outage you get die-off of bacteria in a canister filter. With a protein skimmer that waste is removed almost immediately. With a sump you can at least load it with LR and run a battery-powered air pump to help keep some water movement going in the case of an outage...same can be done with your display (or you can run a vortech with a battery backup). You are pretty limited with a canister filter though...I've had numerous instances of power outages causing issues in my FW setups due to canisters shutting down for a few hrs.

I think a skimmer is a much better option if you are going with one or the other. Combining the two would work...but I typically just keep a small sponge somewhere in my sump/HOB filter so that I can seed QT systems, rather than running a spare filter full of media. The bioload in a QT will be much lower than in your display; you will end up with bacteria die off by taking a filter from a full running system and moving it to a sterile QT tank. A small piece of sponge or LR would be more than enough to seed a QT tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow great info jahmic. I've read that people believe canister filters may be a big contributor to early "old tank syndrome" when used in combination with live rock (as can wet/dry filters), as their bacterial filtration can cause mysterious rising nitrate issues over time (even when other good husbandry is employed). Seems most web opinion suggests that they are old school technology that doesn't really help saltwater systems, but some people still live by them or use old canister filters just for GAC/GFO. Skimmers are a very different technology in "precipitating" dissolved organic compounds, as would waves crashing on a reef in nature (dirty foam). They also use technology to fill the gap in our systems by our not using naturally occurring life that converts these compounds in nature.

If you think outside the box, you can find other uses for them as well. I throw my dirty clothes in my sump and they come out smelling sea fresh thanks to my skimmer.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
daverf;208525 said:
I've read that people believe canister filters may be a big contributor to early "old tank syndrome" when used in combination with live rock (as can wet/dry filters), as their bacterial filtration can cause mysterious rising nitrate issues over time (even when other good husbandry is employed).
Yep. As crap collects in the canister filter, bacteria starts to multiply at a high rate. On the plus side you are able to chew through waste rather quickly, but usually what eventually happens is that the production of nitrates greatly exceeds how quickly you can remove it from your system with water changes. You can remedy this by removing and rinsing the media in the canister filter as needed...but that is a messy, time consuming job; I'd much rather just empty a skimmer cup.

I do still use a canister on my FW planted tank and am able to maintain nitrates between 20-40ppm as the tank is overstocked and I feed heavily. When I get excess algae growth, I pull the media basket, give everything a rinse, and do a large water change. Typically that's once every 6-9 months in a heavily planted tank that is continually consuming nitrates for growth. I'd imagine you'd have to do that more often in a reef...but I really don't have any experience using a canister filter in a SW tank. Before starting my first tank though, I did consider that option, did some research, and decided against it. I'm very happy with my skimmer.

This isn't to say you can't run a canister filter on a SW tank...but IMO there's better (easier) technology available for nutrient export, as daverf pointed out.