Modified phosban reactor

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So considering my recent discovery that I was pumping the waste water from my RO into my tank for top off, I am considering modifying a phosban reactor to house polyfilter. I was just thinking I would cut them into circles with holes in the center to force the water through them and stack them in a phosban reactor. The way my sump is set up it doesn't lend itself to using them any other way I can think of. What do you guys think?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That would work if your goal is using the polyfilter for proactive toxin/heavy metal removal. It would still do some duty as polishing and particle removal, but not anywhere near the level it would compared to the typical application kinda like a filter sock.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sure. Why not? Just cut them into squares, poke a hole in the center and squeeze them in there. You only need a day or two for them get what they are going to get.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
My goal is to remove whatever I was dumping into the tank by having my RO waste going into the tank.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I also shoot to do a 50 gallon water change everyday this week to get things back on track.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Most of anything that is bad should bind to organics and get skimmed out... or bind to aragonite and be rendered useless. This should quickly rectify once you stopped introducing the waste. Poly does not get everything, but it can get what it will get pretty quickly. GAC can help too. GFO can also bind some stuff.

Do you actually have things that are suffering? If not, then run the poly and some carbon for a day or two and then do the water changes to further dilute the water that you just scrubbed a bit.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Actually, nothing looks bad. All of the corals and nems look really good. Just a lot of unsightly red slime that I'd like to get rid of and I would rather not use chemiclean already.