Culture Journal: Parvocalanus crassirostris

Sometimes I just love this hobby's choice of vocabulary. Cake pan with salt water equals "simulated tidepool".

I don't use a magnetic algae scrapper, I use electromagnetic force to induce kinetic abrasion. It costs the same. :D

Or would that be a simulated marine snail?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
LOL^ agreed. The funniest part to me is that its supposed to be a tide pool...ummm where is the tide? He said no air for igitation. Talk about a lame tide :D

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hi Andy, how is the culture coming along?
Yeah, I'm still contaminated. My Apocyclops got into the Parvo water so now I don't know whether I have any Parvo left. I need to sieve out the culture and see if I get any tiny naups to start a new one, but I just haven't had any time lately. Sigh.

The pyrex pan thing works fine for harpactacoids. That's what I've done in the past for harps. I do fill them full of bioballs just to get more surface area for the pods. I've used them both with and without air and it doesn't seem to matter much. Tigger pods like it cold.

Just keep'n the thread alive for when I need it. :)

Sorry for your loss. :(

Incidentally, I've read some scientific literature that claims Convolutriloba retrogemma (red planaria) can eat baby artemia. Is there another type of pod similar enough in size and habitat that I could possibly substitute?

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just to say, I've just started to try again with another culture of these from starters from Reed Mariculture.

Andy, my shipment from reeds arrived yesterday in good shape so hopefully you have the same luck... right now I got them hanging out in one of my 4 quart sterilites with a light bubble and a light ISO tint (since lately ISO has decided to agree with me... for once).

sexy little pods they are... let me know how yours come in... the bottles I got were crazy gonna have to find some of those for my own use

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
Has anyone heard from Andy lately? I had some culture questions I wanted to pick his brain on.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh, man, life's been tough the last couple of years. My health's been crap, work's demanding much more time, the kid's going to school a lot farther away so it takes a lot longer to run her and get back. Lot's of time commitments and the internet's kind of what had to give. At least the health is getting better.

How's it going around here?

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ummfish;290447 said:
Oh, man, life's been tough the last couple of years. My health's been crap, work's demanding much more time, the kid's going to school a lot farther away so it takes a lot longer to run her and get back. Lot's of time commitments and the internet's kind of what had to give. At least the health is getting better.

How's it going around here?
Things are good for the most part around here it's a big year of reef events in Colorado. Hope to see ya pop in more often as life permits

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ummfish;290408 said:
I've heard from him. :) There may not be many brains left, but what do you need?
:) Good to know you're still around! I wanted to ask if you know of anywhere I could find the info (maybe through you, dunno...) for optimal spectrum and PAR values for nanno and iso T. I'm looking into generating a few reports for MBI for culturing and was wondering if you had played around with these two parameters at all.

Also, do you know of any good references for the best bang for your buck for nutritional gutloading?

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Honestly, you got me. I would post on the MBI and see what they have to say. You could ask Gresham, too, but that kind of stuff might be proprietary info that he might not be allowed to share.

Unfortunately, I'm crap at culturing algae. I've never tried Nanno because I can't see any reason to. I think I kept the temp of T. Iso. a little too low. I got one good split off that, but otherwise all dead algae. What are you attempting to gut-load? Rots? I like Reed's stuff for that (it's easy for one thing). It's better to just grow copepods, though.

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ummfish;291194 said:
Honestly, you got me. I would post on the MBI and see what they have to say. You could ask Gresham, too, but that kind of stuff might be proprietary info that he might not be allowed to share.
Heheh, yeah, not exactly one of those "off the top of your head" questions. Thanks for the suggestion on MBI and Gresham, I'll probably post something up tonight. I've been doing a bit more research on the chlorophyll a/b and the carotenoids, etc. so I think I might have the magic spectra/PAR ratings.

Ummfish;291194 said:
Unfortunately, I'm crap at culturing algae. I've never tried Nanno because I can't see any reason to. I think I kept the temp of T. Iso. a little too low. I got one good split off that, but otherwise all dead algae. What are you attempting to gut-load? Rots? I like Reed's stuff for that (it's easy for one thing). It's better to just grow copepods, though.
BBS, roti's and a few different species of copepods. Testing my skills at some micro-propagation for some local stores, breeders n' such. Eventually, I'll try my luck at breeding some livestock but for the time being, I'm more interested in scoring a few more points for MASC for MBI.

If I come up with anything good, I'll be sure to post it up!