Do you use a CUC in your Refugium?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sure do. I have about 15 different snails in there to stir up the sand and clean the walls and any bristle worm I find in my DT gets sent to the fuge.

I have wondered the same thing. I would imagine that you need something in there to deal with stiring the sand, but would imagine that if you put something in there that eats the bugs in your sand you would be losing some of the benefits of the refugium. Just like your main tank you may be able to, if you go long enough without said creatures, build a big enough population of good bugs that they can't be affected.

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
i have quite a few dwarf ceriths that have taken the plunge down my over to the sump. They mostly end up in my cheato. When i trim it about once a month, i just pick the ones that i can out and put them back in the display. I have a few nerites in there to, but they crawled out of the display and down there themselves. I think its good to have some snails down there to help clean things up for you

ChrisB

Butterfly Fish
djkms;87672 said:
Sure do. I have about 15 different snails in there to stir up the sand and clean the walls and any bristle worm I find in my DT gets sent to the fuge.
Same on snails. Thanks for the great idea on worms. :)

ChrisB

Butterfly Fish
othercents;87713 said:
Anyone using crabs or hermits in their sump? Anyone not using snails and stirring the sand another way? Saw a post about stirring the sand with your finger. The same post said something about snails eating all the beneficial critters in the sand.
Have a few crabs that floated down. Wickeds mantis stirs the best I bet. Lol.

Some snails yes but it think most cerith and narssis are ok. I know bumble bee do eat pods.