Does anyone know about Betas?

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So here is the deal. My daughter has/had betas and she would like to keep more expensive ones, but we can not seem to keep them alive much passed 5 or 6 months. Any advise or any forums would be help full.

Thanks
MARTIN

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
A betta is an anabantid which is a type of fresh water fish that has a labyrinth organ that allows it to breathe air in a limited capacity. They are often found in very slow moving to still water that can be very dirty and almost oxygen deprived(hence the organ). The biggest mistake that people make with Bettas is keeping them in those little jars. Yes, they can survive, but it is not ideal. The main problem with the bowls is that they build up nutrients way too fast. Bettas also like to have places to hide. A leaf or lily plant floating on top is perfect. This will also give your fish a chance to "bubble-nest". They will literally breathe in air and create these little bubbles under the leaf or lily to nest in. It is a really neat thing to see. If you are keeping just the betta I would recommend a 10g tank with the smallest little filter you can find. Bettas are great with most other freshwater tropical fish that aren't nippers like barbs. I always kept mine with tetras to add a little flair to the tank. I hope that helps. If you have any questions I might have answers, or can help you find them.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
These have been keep in 5 gallon Aqueon aquariums. each has there own tank withe exception on the one that came with a divider. This tank was the last one she bought this passed January and has house two Betas for the passed almost six months. These two fish died a day apart! I am just frustrated that they all seem to meet their demise at about six months!

MartinsReef;354466 said:
76/78 degrees and omega one blood worms and zoo med mysis and dahnia.
Your temps and food look to be fine. Why I asked was many times people keep bettas in containers with out heaters so they're subjected to large temp swings (more than 6 degrees daily). They'll do OK for awhile, but become weak and leaves them open to infection. My next question would be water chemistry? Best water conditions for bettas would be temp 78 to 80 degrees with a pH between 6.8 to 7.4, but they are very adaptable to some differences. I would NOT recommend using distilled or RO water on bettas, but just tap water with a good water conditioner. Yes distilled and RO water is pure, but thats the problem. Bettas need some essential minerals that they get from water which distilled and RO have none.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mccoc033;354443 said:
A betta is an anabantid which is a type of fresh water fish that has a labyrinth organ that allows it to breathe air in a limited capacity. They are often found in very slow moving to still water that can be very dirty and almost oxygen deprived(hence the organ). The biggest mistake that people make with Bettas is keeping them in those little jars. Yes, they can survive, but it is not ideal. The main problem with the bowls is that they build up nutrients way too fast. Bettas also like to have places to hide. A leaf or lily plant floating on top is perfect. This will also give your fish a chance to "bubble-nest". They will literally breathe in air and create these little bubbles under the leaf or lily to nest in. It is a really neat thing to see. If you are keeping just the betta I would recommend a 10g tank with the smallest little filter you can find. Bettas are great with most other freshwater tropical fish that aren't nippers like barbs. I always kept mine with tetras to add a little flair to the tank. I hope that helps. If you have any questions I might have answers, or can help you find them.

+1

I keep a beta in a nano planted tank. I have an amazon sword plant that he likes to lay on and I also have a large piece of driftwood with a cave shape to it that my beta hides in. Give your beta a decent "real" aquarium and they will thrive. I also dose my tank with trace minerals and do RO/DI water changes. I have good plant growth and a fat beta. Make sure you are also feeding a good quality beta food that fits their dietary needs. Most betas I have had will prefer a floating pellet food. My beta is in an Aqueon Evolve 8 tank and its a great tank for the money, I made some mods to the overflow design and use seachem matrix for a filtration media. Let me know if you want any pointers on modding this little tank.