First Build! 20 gal Refugium Experiment

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey everyone!
This is just a thread transfer from introductions (http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?17577-New-to-the-Forums-and-Salt) to discuss a refugium build. It's a bit of cut and paste from the previous thread, just to keep everything inline and simple.

Okay, so here's the general idea and plan behind this project. I would like to build a large capacity 3 chamber refugium for a 35 to 50 gallon main display tank before I actually start the main display tank. My reasoning on the building the refugium before the main display tank is to establish a strong "reprocessing" tank beforehand to aid in establishing beneficial bacteria and to improve the water structure/quality in the main display tank. By increasing the amount of macroalgae (chaeto, ulva and red mangroves) and other natural filters and cleaners (no animals) via the refugium, I figured I could reduce the toxicity levels more efficiently and effectively to reduce having to resort to hard supplements to speed the process up. Coupling a good skimmer with a small amount of a product like Arag-Alive from CaribSea (thank you CRW Reef) and I think it would be possible to see my cycling time for a new tank reduced a pretty decent amount. Due diligence and good recording in a log book will be essential in documenting just how effective this will be. So, in laymen's terms, I'm doing a little cycling experiment coupled with this build. I'll list out the general parts and applications below and I'll throw some pictures in tomorrow of my preliminary sketches. I also included the main tank general parameters, as it's applicable to the processing capacities of the refugium.

Main Tank:
- 35-50 gallon tank
- 10-15 lbs of Fiji live rock (acts a base, see below)
- 20-30 lbs of Florida reef rock (sits on top of/above live rock, little bit more attractive in my opinion)
- 2-3 in layer of live sand

Refugium
- 10-20 gallon tank
- 200 gph sump protein skimmer
- 3 chamber tank

1. First Chamber; 20 lbs of Fiji live rock with 0.5 to 1.0 inch clearance from bottom with protein skimmer (AquaC EV120) outlet routed to next chamber
  2. Second Chamber (largest chamber); 1 inch layer of live sand, macroalgae (Chaeto), a few hermits and snails. This chamber is also used as a copepod/phytoplankton/zooplankton nursery/habitat as a stable food source.
  3. Third chamber is aeration and a return chamber to the tank

- Possible Calcium reactor depending on size availability, if not just meters and premix solutions for the time being

So after a few days of browsing and researching the internet, I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to setting up a new reef tank, it may be beneficial to setup a refugium and stabilize that environment first, then add the main display tank with nothing more than the hardscape and maybe a few damsels to begin with. After a few weeks and over a period of a few months, start adding the hardier fish, inverts and corals working down to the more delicate and fragile species. My main concern is the health and stability of the tank and inhabitants (both micro and macro), which is why I'm curious if it is wise to build the refugium first.

I know one of the most important factors of aquarium design and setup is "what are you going to put in it?" That's where I've come to a bit of a shortfall. I've got a detailed list of inverts and some of the fish that I want to get, like a clam or two, a few hermits, a couple of stars, maybe a feather duster or two and the typical pistol shrimp/goby pair and some Blenny's, a Mandarin Dragonet and a small group of clowns. I need to know if this seems to be a cohesive and peaceful gathering? Will I come up short on some foods/supply? Or is this a pretty well rounded setup?
To further add to this, in response to a few comments having a group of clown fish is not the best idea, or using any live fish to cycle a tank either. So you can scratch those out of the picture.

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well... Damn good thing I never started my tank. I've been jumping around the country and the mountains for work and haven't been back to Denver in over 2 months! Guess it's time to pack it up in Highlands Ranch and move further from society!.... Yay...:dispirited:

So, I've managed to acquire a 30 gallon tank (30"L x 12"W x 12"T), a used Eshopps wet/dry filter (18"L x 10"W x 16"T), a pump (waaaay too small for my needs) an overflow box and some other miscellaneous items for free from my buddy up in Jefferson just a few days ago. It was his old octopus setup and it was taking up space in his house, so he just gave it to me for $0.00. Score! So now begins the fun of starting my first marine tank! And holy **** is it expensive... The real problem with being detailed in your planning is you find out how expensive something really is before you buy it. But, you can trim items here and there, maybe you really don't need that or this, oh you can build that, but it's running close to 3k still. Although, it's still cheaper than restoring a BMW for racing!

I'll post some pics today and a build list, but I need to bounce some ideas off of you guys.
#1. Lighting - Yes, this is opening a can of worms for opinions, but I'd like to know what everyone's suggestions are, keeping a budget in mind. I'm looking at the 24" EDGE from AquaticLife for the display tank and two basic daylight fluorescent lights for the refugium.
#2. Panworld 40PX pump. Good? Bad? Don't know?
#3. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a control module? I'm looking at the Digital Aquatics RKE Net, as I'm working in remote locations and can't always make it back to my brother's place in Bailey. I would like to be able to call him up and tell him to add this or that if I can't make it back in time if need be. So having net access is definitely a plus.

Thanks in advance! I was hoping to make the January meeting, but circumstances are proving otherwise, so looks like it's going to be February.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
My advice on the controller is a Neptune Apex. Almost everyone I have heard that switched from RKE to Apex has been glad they switched. The new firmware for the Apex will allow even better net access that it currently has.

I am not saying the RKE is a bad controller, but Apex is more or less the gold standard.

Obviously this is just my personal opinion.

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
An opinion worth noting! Just looked at the Apex online and it looks like it might end up being cheaper. The fact that you can do your own programming for other modules, no extra pump controllers or lighting modules to buy and... attention to detail? I'm sold!

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
Picture time!
[attachment=65772:name]

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice! Now let's see it with some water :)

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
Off The Deep End;286921 said:
Nice! Now let's see it with some water :)

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk
All in due time, my friend. I still need to acquire some essentials; lighting, sand and rock, a new pump, heaters, a decent stand, etc. I'll be cruising the forums and craigslist like a hawk for used equipment in the next few months. I'm hoping to start cycling by March. But, a few items are marked off the list!