First Lps Coral Retraction

So I have a 55 gallon saltwater, liverock, a few fish and inverts and have been working up to corals. The tank has been running strong for the past 8 months with absolutely no problems, all params in normal range for a reef tank. Yesterday, After talking with my very reliable lfs, I purchased my first coral!!! was extremely stoked and rushed home to introduce it to my tank. 15 minutes after placing it, it looked to be extremely happy and flourishing. This morning even, it looked healthy and full. Now, this afternoon it slowly started to retract all the polyps, and now they are all inside. Im a bit nervous as this is my first and am just looking for some reassurance or guidance on if I need to do anything different. I've attached photos of yesterday and today. View attachment 10880 View attachment 10881

Last edited by a moderator:

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine do that, usually going into the evening, or if a shrimp walks thru it and ****es it off. You should be fine.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: First Lps Coral Retraction

kohnertb;216896 said:
After talking with my very reliable lfs, I purchased my first lps coral
Not very reliable if they sold you GSP and told you it was a LPS, maybe I'm mistaken?

Either way, do what the others said, it should be fine.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
H2O_intolerant;216936 said:
Not very reliable if they sold you GSP and told you it was a LPS, maybe I'm mistaken?

Either way, do what the others said, it should be fine.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD
+1 for sure not a lps haha but just give it a little time they are hardy.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
green star polyps..... not sure who told you that was lps, but two things......try to research stuff before you buy it, and try to keep that thing isolated....gsp is a softie and grows great. I has tendencies to grow wild and spread over other corals, perhaps overtaking entire tanks.