Gut-loaded, enriched BRINE SHRIMP -- They are here!

What are your fish really eating? Live brine shrimp has been a popular choice in the marine hobby for several reasons including picky eaters devouring it and relatively insignificant effects on water quality. However, live brine shrimp are essentially popcorn. Fish may love them, but brine shrimp are essentially devoid of any nutritionally value. Your fish and aquarium inhabitants may not be obtaining the essential nutrients that they need to grow, look their best, and possibly reproduce.

Baby brine shrimp (BBS) have been touted as a superior food source solution. However, baby brine shrimp are, well, tiny and highly unlikely to be found at fish stores. They can be hatched, but their shell can present problems for fish if not properly separated. Additionally, as soon as baby brine shrimp hatch, they start to lose their nutritional value. Within 12 hours of hatching, they have become “popcorn”. With hatching times varying anywhere from 12-36 hours, collection and separation become a burdensome task.

Live brine shrimp is often raised on diet yeast, not the most nutritional feed. The use of yeast stems from the fact that it is cheap and high availability. It has been noted that brine shrimp are not fed a diet of phytoplankton because the associated costs are too high for breeders and hatcheries to make a profit.

The brine shrimp raised at Algae Barn have been fed a diet of live phytoplankton their entire life span. Research has shown that brine shrimp fed a diet of live nannochloropsis phytoplankton has a higher nutritional value – over 88% higher levels of fatty acids EPA/DHA – than even baby brine shrimp (BBS) [1].

“N. salina [Nannochloropsis] produced higher levels of arachidonic acid (AA, 20:4n6, 9.50%), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA, 20:5n3, 25.80%), and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA, 22:6n3, 4.18%) as compared to other diets

Each 16 oz bottle of Gut-loaded, enriched, live BRINE SHRIMP has an extremely high density.

View attachment 10738

Two bottles (32 oz total) of Gut-loaded, enriched, live BRINE SHRIMP. Packed at EXTREME densities!
One bottle (16 oz) of Ocean Magik -- a blend of Isochrysis galbana, Nannochloropsis, Tetraselmis

For only $25. Club members will an sample of our new concentrated phytoplankton -- message me if you'd like to learn more! I should be at the Feb meeting, so you are welcome to pick them up there! If you can't make it, please get in contact with me and we'll work something out.

The bottle of Ocean Magik allows you to keep the brine shrimp enriched if you plan to space out feedings (1 or 2 weeks). You may also dose your system with Ocean Magik to encourage and support the development of high levels of copepods and zooplankton.

[1] Chakraborty, R., Chakraborty, K., & Radhakrishnan, E. (2007). Variation in fatty acid composition of artemia salina nauplii enriched with microalgae and baker. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, 55(10), 4043-51. doi: 10.1021/jf063654l

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
What's your Paypal? Put me down for one package please.

Two bottles (32 oz total) of Gut-loaded, enriched, live BRINE SHRIMP. Packed at EXTREME densities!
One bottle (16 oz) of Ocean Magik -- a blend of Isochrysis galbana, Nannochloropsis, Tetraselmis

For only $25. Club members will an sample of our new concentrated phytoplankton -- message me if you'd like to learn more! I should be at the Feb meeting, so you are welcome to pick them up there! If you can't make it, please get in contact with me and we'll work something out.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Put me down for one package Sean. I'll Paypal ya the $25. Thanks!

Thank you all for the support! I will be trying to order some rotifers and two additional strains of copepods (tisbe and tangerines) once I get a little more cash.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
AlgaeBarn;222236 said:
You got it Praveen!
Paypal sent! Not sure if I'll make it to the raffle, but bring my Pods/Phyto package if ya could, I'm gonna try. If I don't make it I'll make a run to Boulder soon. Thanks Sean!