HVAC tech

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Having a great Monday so far. It appears my tank overflowed last night emptying about 45+ gallons of water out of my sump.
Most of the water it appears went down my air vent in the floor and found it's way to the furnace.
So...the furnace currently won't kick on. Don't know what will end up needing to be done...but I am wondering if anyone on here is a HVAC tech and can give me a hand if needed.
Thanks

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would make sure to contact your homeowners insurance in the event that it might be damaged. Hopefully it just needs to dry out and be cleaned, otherwise it could get real costly.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mike,

Sorry to hear. Hopefully its just wet and needs to dry out. You might also want to check to to see if a fuse was triggered. If it was, I would leave it off till things are dry.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: HVAC tech

Everything except the heat exchanger seems to be working properly. It doesn't seem like the heat exchanger wants to fire up all the way. It ignites one out of three jets. Igniter is fine. Fan comes on fine. Gas exhaust fan comes on. Just won't fire up exchanger all the way. Doesn't look like all the water went to the furnace. I have my tanks setup pretty much directly over an exterior wall because of an overhang I have on the second level. It appears alot of water went through the floor and out in to the flower bed outside. So that is a plus I guess.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

So which tank over flowed you may be wondering....
Not the one with the HOB overflow tube...the RR 90gal did. So much for trying to convince the other half to get rid of the non RR tank for a RR one.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
HVAC tech

Check the jets to see of they're clogged with salt. Wash them out real well with clean water. If it still doesn't work then it might be your gas valve

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
Man that sucks!! Hope things work out ok.

I don't know much about the furnace inner workings but the folks I have used for service in the past are Smith and Willis. I have had good service.

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow, sorry to hear about the overflow.
When you have time, can you describe how the overflow occured? I'm setting up a 120 with dual dursos and returns and will be planning for potential poweroutage with my sump set up to a level that can handle the drain from the lines. my return lines have a hole drilled in them to kill a siphon, but i'm sure some back suction will occur.

Thanks

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
HVAC tech

Wow this sucks!! You may want to check the flame sensor. I had a problem with my heater recently, where all would light up but wouldn't stay lit. Turns out it wasn't sensing the flame so it would shut back down. Took it out cleaned it off, working again. Just a thought. Hope you get it figured out.

I feel your pain, my sump on my FW tank overflowed a couple weeks ago. I'm lucky it was only like 5 or so gallons.

Please keep us posted with any repairs you make or upgrades to avoid this in the future.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

aztecdreams;242050 said:
Check the jets to see of they're clogged with salt. Wash them out real well with clean water. If it still doesn't work then it might be your gas valve
Will check them tonight.

amonchak;242086 said:
I have used for service in the past are Smith and Willis. I have had good service.
Thanks for name.

BPreefer;242090 said:
You may want to check the flame sensor. I had a problem with my heater recently, where all would light up but wouldn't stay lit. Turns out it wasn't sensing the flame so it would shut back down. Took it out cleaned it off, working again. Just a thought. Hope you get it figured out.
Can't get it to light on the flame sensor side.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

kmellon;242088 said:
When you have time, can you describe how the overflow occurred?
My mistake... I redid some plumbing because I was having cavitation issues and it made a big difference in volume being pumped. I knew I was close to maxing out the overflows but seemed ok for about 18 hours. Woke up this morning and noticed after about an hour a strange noise from basement.... At 4:00 in the morning I don't look at my tanks very often....

TexSun;242091 said:
Please keep us posted with any repairs you make or upgrades to avoid this in the future.
Will do.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

aztecdreams;242104 said:
What brand is your furnace? I'm a salesman for Carrier, Bryant , and Payne
I can't remember... Will look tonight.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Well after some cleaning and wiping down I have got it going. Seems some of the electrical connections were wet. Took apart all the connections and wiring harness and made sure they were clean and dry. And it worked....

I am just gonna throw this out there for you all...I do not recommend doing water changes through your furnace or duct work...especially while you sleep soundly dreaming of....nevermind...however your results may vary...but really....don't try this at home...

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

Lol glad you got it fixed up Mike and didn't end up costing you up the ying yang!!

Great warning though thanks man :D

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Thanks everyone. I was pretty stressed all day about it.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
WatercolorsGuy;242214 said:
Thanks everyone. I was pretty stressed all day about it.
Make sure your furnace filter isn't wet as well.