Jahmic's 20L zoa garden

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had been toying with the idea of building a frag tank to grow out some zoas for a little garden in my nanocube. But, then I quickly realized that I had no room in that tank for any more coral... so what would be the point? Seemed like a good enough excuse to embrace my multi-tank syndrome and start a new build.

I'm going to try to keep this build as simple as possible; no skimmer, no fuge/sump, and no dosing schedules. Just good old water changes as needed. I plan on running an HOB...not drilling the tank due to the location and honestly just a lack of space. My macro in the nano cube is doing extremely well...so I'll be taking a chunk and placing it in the 20L for some nutrient export. If that's not enough I may consider a small diy algae scrubber, but the goal is to keep the equipment to a minimum. Plans so far:

Lighting- (2) 31W T5 bulbs, 10k and actinic 120W dimmable LED fixture (2:1 blue/white ratio)

Filtration- AC50 Modified AC70 with mini-refugium

Circulation- Temporarily a koralia 1...will probably be the only upgrade down the line as I'll want to replace it with an mp10. Dang vortechs and their irresistible awesomeness. MP10wes...called it.

Livestock- Primarily Zoas and Palys (added a Duncan for some movement) and a sixline wrasse African Flameback Angel. I'm purposely keeping the bioload light so I can get away with the HOB.

I have some marco rock on the way, and will be going bare bottom to keep detritus suspended and cleanup easy. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the look...but it's more practical for this build so I'm gonna see if it grows on me.

Ok...picture time. Not much to see yet, I just de-rimmed the tank (top only) and put it in place. I'll leak test it again but I'm not expecting any issues as things checked out over the weekend.

For Chad...Here's the glass after popping off the rim and getting the heavy silicone off with a razor (or 2 or 3).

After the acetone and steel wool scrub

Teaser pics

Yea...the tank is in a weird corner and the back end is sort of obstructed by that bookshelf (which, by the way is full of tropical fish hobbyist magazines...thanks Martin!). The primary the viewing angle will be from corner to corner for anyone (me) seated in that chair though, so it works nicely. To the left of that table is my kitchen counter, so there is really no loss of view with that back end tucked beside the bookshelf. It actually makes for a good spot to hide the HOB... there, now I've convinced myself that this build is justified. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can't wait.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Punjab

Angel Fish
I like it! I just picked up a 20 long from Petco and am gearing up to create a frag/experimental tank. I'd like to drill mine and use a 10 gallon sump though.
How many different tanks will you have in your home after this one is set up and running?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Punjab;193217 said:
I like it! I just picked up a 20 long from Petco and am gearing up to create a frag/experimental tank. I'd like to drill mine and use a 10 gallon sump though.
How many different tanks will you have in your home after this one is set up and running?
Nice! Got mine at the $1 per gallon sale at Petco too. I've always been a fan of the 20 long dimensions; I had like 3 at one point when I was a kid...lizards, fish, and tree frogs, lol.

I'd definitely drill mine if I had the space for another stand in my house. Once this gets going, I'll have 3 tanks in my place: the 20L zoa garden, a 28 gallon nanocube (mixed reef), and a 35 gallon tall FW planted riparium. My place is MAYBE 500 sqft...basically one large room that holds the 2 larger tanks, a bathroom, and a galley kitchen where the 20L is squeezed into the corner. It definitely keeps the temptation for a larger tank in check. ;)

My original plan was to also build a frag/experimental sort of tank...but someone convinced me to ditch the eggcrate, get some nice rock, and go all out.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Great job on "de-rimming" that tank, looks nice!

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
looks great! If your doing a zoa garden, think about using calcium reactor media for the bottom. as long as you have good flow, there shouldnt be any detritus build up and it will give a place for zoas to spread to. plus it makes for easy fragging.

Are you planning on a screen top for the tank? 6-lines have a tendency to go carpet surfing....

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the tip on using Ca reactor media as substrate, I'll definitely look into it. I ordered a set of the finnex rimless clips and will be getting a piece of glass cut for the top. I figure it may help cut down evaporation slightly, and I honestly just prefer the look of a glass top on a rimless tank.

I think if I use an MP10 I'll have enough flow to keep detritus out of the substrate, but I have a feeling that the laminar flow of the koralia 1 that I intend on starting off with will probably pile up detritus somewhere in the tank. At least if I decide to go with that media I can just add it after the rock is already in the tank curing without much issue. If I don't go that route, I plan on just using those square tiles on the bottom and allowing the zoas to spread across them; should still be fairly easy to separate them and pull them out for fragging.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Khalis what are these rimless clips you speak of? You have a link or where did you order from?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Smiley;193265 said:
ADA makes a clip for their glass tops... looks real clean.
They are definitely nice and clean. My only gripe about using those on a reef is that they're metal...I tried to find more info on what type of metal it is at one point, but came up with nothing. Any idea if they corrode due to salt exposure?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nothing like waking up to the sound of the Fed Ex truck stopping at your house...OK actually the pooch heard the truck and let me know she wanted to go out and investigate...but either way...

My rock is here from marco!

Also, tried lowes for a glass top last night. Unfortunately all they have is 1/8" glass...I cut a piece cut anyway to give it a try, but it's too flexible and I think it'd shatter in time. Also the edges were obviously sharp, so even if it did work it meant trying my luck at seaming the edges of glass that thin, which probably wouldn't have had a good ending. Ah well...call it a 6 dollar experiment. I did find a local glass shop though and they're going to cut 1/4" panel to specs and seam the edges for 15 bucks...so no complaints. There's a slight gap around the edges so I'm not worried much about gas exchange. Probably won't do much for slowing evaporation...but it at least gives me the look I was going for. I debated just going with a diy screen built from bird netting...but I think upcoming pics may support my decision. :p

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Smiley;193797 said:
The clips I saw from ADA were acrylic...

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Oh wow...never seen those before! I checked adgshop and couldn't find anything though, so I ended up sticking with the finnex clips. They aren't as obtrusive as they appear to be in those links; those pics were taken with them on a 4g pico and exaggerated the size a bit.

Here's a pic with the lid installed

Added some vinyl window film I had laying around for a background as well. I originally planned on just covering the far end of the tank to hide the equipment and block out light from that window....but decided I'd rather not stare at my wall through the tank. It does visually shrink the size of the tank a little...but I think it works well overall. The nice thing is I can just peel it off if I change my mind...definitely open to opinions on keeping that wall covered or peeling off the backing. ;)

Rock collection...time to get building

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;193272 said:
They are definitely nice and clean. My only gripe about using those on a reef is that they're metal...I tried to find more info on what type of metal it is at one point, but came up with nothing. Any idea if they corrode due to salt exposure?
It probably would, you could put a clear coat on it if you're really concerned about it.

I bought small plastic handles from Lowes, they came with an adhesive strip

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
They will corrode, even stainless corodes in saltwater. Ill see if I can find more info on those acrylic clips....

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here's the scape...gotta love the 20 long dimensions.

Filling time! Guess I could've made RO this week in advance, lol.