High-end chalice questions.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Please help me set expectations. When buying a high-end chalice frag, should I ensure that all the colors are there? I think the answer is yes. What I fear is I want to get this

- but get this (if the pics don't show, click on the 'this' link)

Yes, the second pic has a part that truly has all the coloring, but 90% of it look like a normal chalice you can get for $40, not 10x that.

Is this rational sound?

so if it fair to say, that if I got either one of these two frags - this.1

or this.2 -

that the chances of getting the second pic (90% that shows mainly one set of colors) is a lot higher? I think that is the case. If so.... Then buying a frag that looks like this this.3

then would produce a colony that shows more like this.4

Correct my logic if need be.

--Dave

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would just stick with WYSIWYG for high end stuff like that so that you can't be disappointed

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It can totally happen where the colors just spread like a piece of pie and do not branch out to everywhere. I had a Motor City Mahyem from Gonzo, which was pretty close to most of the rest of them, and it was red from about zero to 270 degrees and then blue from 270 to 360. There were some small parts that were the opposite color, but mostly it was not.

In a nutshell, you don't know what you are going to get. ...but they are not as expensive as they once were, so less risk now.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
It can totally happen where the colors just spread like a piece of pie and do not branch out to everywhere. I had a Motor City Mahyem from Gonzo, which was pretty close to most of the rest of them, and it was red from about zero to 270 degrees and then blue from 270 to 360. There were some small parts that were the opposite color, but mostly it was not.

In a nutshell, you don't know what you are going to get. ...but they are not as expensive as they once were, so less risk now.
Thanks, I know DNA is going to produce color if it's in the linage (given the million other variables) . The how much color seems to be a guess and there is only one way to find out.... I also agree that the prices have come down, and that is why I'm exploring, and won't likely buy until Reefstock or afterwards.