making a sump/refugium for a 72 bowfront

Robbiekrause33

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
so i've got a wet dry system under my tank and i'm not a fan of it at all. so i want to do a sump/refugium, heres the catch my tanks full and i dont want to empty it just for a sump. so and tips on making a sump/refugium a size for it.

i want to do my first section just big enough of the skimmer and in water then my second section will be sand rock alge then the last section just big enough for my return pump. ]

how would you say to build this. what size tank and material would you use to build it?

thanks for helping me out i appreciate it greatly

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
id try a 20l 1 baffle at least depends on how many bubbles the skimmer puts out and the baffle gives you a consistant water level for the skimmer to work good

I had the same exact situation you are in, I found that an adhi 30 gallon refugium fits perfectly under a 72 gallon. If you can find one on craigslist I would recommend it. you just have to make sure you can get it into the stand lol.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had the same. The issue is you have to put it in through the back. I had ADHI make one for me to my specs. It was bigger than the 30. The final compartment was like an "L" shape so that you could fit it under the stand. You could always go the route of multiple individual plexi boxes and drill and bulkhead them together. That is how my 150 was when I bought it because they didn't want to empty it to put the sump in through the hole in the top of the stand. Unfortunately I sold it with my 72...