Moving Biocube. Review my plan

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I am going to move my biocube to the new house tomorrow. Below is a detailed plan (in order of events). If you have any comments to help improve the move, please let me know.

1. Place hot water bottles inside a cooler with a starting temperature of 80 degrees)

2. Collect all coral not attached to rock and place in livestock bags. Place in cooler after collection.

3. Catch two clownfish (my only fish right now) and place in livestock bags. Place in cooler after collection.

5. Disconnect all devices from power source and put anything that might move in transit (heaters and such) into a box with other equipment.

5. Place live rock in 5 gallon buckets filled with tank water, trying to minimize the amount of time exposed to air.

6. Drain remaining water (except enough to keep sand completely wet) into 5 gallon buckets. Bring an additional 10 gallons of fresh NSW for safe measure.

7. Break down tank and stand

8. Transport all contents to the new house (drive is approximately 15 minutes)

9. Place clownfish bag in a large cup and open the top to allow fresh air exchange.

10. Set tank and stand up in new location.

11. Dump as much water as possible into the tank without exposing live rock to air, and add 5 gallons of fresh NSW.

12. Place base rock in tank and add all water possible without exposing surface rock in buckets to air

13. Continue adding surface rock and water until all rock is added to the tank. Remove any excess water if applicable and dump remainder of old water.

14. Add coral to the tank from livestock bags. Remove excess water if applicable

15. Add clownfish to the tank.

16. Reconnect all equipment and check for failed equipment.

17. Have a beer or ten .

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I always seem to experience a lot more water sloshing and loss than I ever figure. Also I've seen live rock delivered wrapped in wet newspaper, might be a solution to ensuring minimized exposure to air?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
All my 5 gallon buckets will have sealed lids (I have a ton of food grade with airtight lids not your typical home depot buckets).

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have done multiple tank moves across many states. Your plan looks good. I would recommend having an additional 10 gallons of NSW though. Keep the extra 10 gallons on hand to do a water change after you get the rock and water in. The water will be very cloudy and the sand will get disturbed to the point where there may be an ammonia spike. Just my 2 cents

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm planning on bringing 10 gallons in the first trip and then bringing the remainder of my made up saltwater in a second trip later in the night or the next day since I only have 8 buckets with airtight lids. (I have 30 gallons made up in a 30 gallon container that I can't lift full).

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I moved it today. I forgot to preheat my saltwater, so I didn't end up using any of the extra water that I brought, but everything has settled in and opened back up. Ammonia tested at 0, so no mini cycle to worry about.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;360018 said:
I moved it today. I forgot to preheat my saltwater, so I didn't end up using any of the extra water that I brought, but everything has settled in and opened back up. Ammonia tested at 0, so no mini cycle to worry about.
That's great glad it went smooth for ya!