• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The Ex officio position, and just to be clear I am not throwing stones, should it be a limited term position? a year max maybe 6 months? I understand the position is an advisory role and a non voting role but should it be the full term of the current Pres or Vice pres?
With staggered terms does that not aide in the transitional period?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
adoucette;197078 said:
I would vote for 2 year terms with 1 being too short to learn the job and get anything accomplished, but 3 being too long (a lot can happen in someones life in 3 years). With staggering the terms as you have the board should be able to maintain consistency in its goals and objectives. Additionally, 3 year terms may cut down the potential pool of members willing to serve on the board because they are not willing to make a 3 year commitment. A compromise may be to make the 4 officer positions 2 year terms staggered Pres/Sec and then VP/Tres.

Also posting the financial records quarterly so members can see how their funds are being spent would go a long way. Just my opinion.
Agree with the above. Two year terms would be manageable and more members would be willing to take on the responsibility. Reelection is always an option, and you wouldn't have as many officers potentially getting burned out or having major life events that could effect their availability.

As far as transparency goes...I agreed with board meetings being open to members until it was pointed out that there are delicate sponsor/member issues that do need some semblance of privacy. That being said, I think it would be reasonable to suggest that BOD meeting minutes be posted on the member forums. The BOD would be able to redact member and sponsor names to maintain privacy. The amount of information released by the BOD would be at their discretion, but at least knowing the topics discussed would lend some transparency to the members. Whereas some discussions should remain private...I'm sure there are others that could be open to the membership. There is definitely a middle ground somewhere that will introduce transparency while maintaining privacy in specific areas. Hopefully the BOD is willing to recognize this and give in a little rather than just closing the door completely.

Definitely agree on financials being more accessible. A personal tidbit: at my first meeting in February someone asked where the money collected for membership goes. A brief overview was given..and not that I distrust the group, but I did some digging after the meeting and learned that financials are available upon request. That solidified my decision to just attend two consecutive meetings rather than donate to the club. Again...not to offend the BOD...but that level of transparency is insufficient IMO. It's not just a matter of gaining trust within the community...but I feel that some members would be more willing to pay dues and bring more financial support to the club...myself included...if we knew exactly what funds were used for.

Not trying to stir the pot on the most recent issues...but that's just my perspective on things, and I doubt I'm the only one that feels this way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;197296 said:
Agree with the above. Two year terms would be manageable and more members would be willing to take on the responsibility. Reelection is always an option, and you wouldn't have as many officers potentially getting burned out or having major life events that could effect their availability.

As far as transparency goes...I agreed with board meetings being open to members until it was pointed out that there are delicate sponsor/member issues that do need some semblance of privacy. That being said, I think it would be reasonable to suggest that BOD meeting minutes could be posted on the member forums. The BOD would be able to redact member and sponsor names to maintain privacy. The amount of information released by the BOD would be at their discretion, but at least knowing the topics discussed would lend some transparency to the members. Whereas some discussions should remain private...I'm sure there are others that could be open to the membership. There is definitely a middle ground somewhere that will introduce transparency while maintaining privacy in specific areas. Hopefully the BOD is willing to recognize this and give in a little rather than just closing the door completely.

Definitely agree on financials being more accessible. A personal tidbit: at my first meeting in February someone asked where the money collected for membership goes. A brief overview was given..and not that I distrust the group, but I did some digging after the meeting and learned that financials are available upon request. That solidified my decision to just attend two consecutive meetings rather than donate to the club. Again...not to offend the BOD...but that level of transparency is insufficient IMO. It's not just a matter of gaining trust within the community...but I feel that some members would be more willing to pay dues and bring more financial support to the club...myself included...if we knew exactly what funds were uses for.

Not trying to stir the pot on the most recent issues...but that's just my perspective on things, and I doubt I'm the only one that feels this way.
+1

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok just my 2 cents worth ;

I as well feel 35.00 per meal is to much the meal is for the Board Member not the BM and Spouse. (Need to clarify meal numbers per day).
I am torn between 2 and 3 year terms. I also feel 3 is to long however agree that it is nice to have the terms for large projects. However couldnt you appoint the previous Pres/vice press or whom ever as a ;

Article VIII. SUBCOMMITTEES
VIII.1 The board can create of a subcommittee to further the interest of the club that is subject to all other rules of MASC but has independent authority to make decisions that fall within the bylaws of MASC
VIII.2 Subcommittees will be required to present a transcript of activities and expenditures at any time to the members of the board when requested.
VIII.3 Subcommittees are bound by the same spending limits as the board of directors as described in Article VI.
VIII.4 Subcommittees can be granted a preapproved spending limit by the board that is controlled by the subcommitteee and confidential for the purposes of conducting club business. In the case of confidential expenditures the subcommittee will be required to provide status updates and budgets to the President and Treasurer on monthly basis with a full report due after and confidentiality agreements expire.

for any longterm projects?

I also think there needs to be some type of process to remove any Board Member other than a simple vote by the people who decide they dont like someone. I feel it needs to be a process of documentation to the membership of the Society and some type of vote by the membership other than just the BOD.

I also feel any vacancies of the BOD to be filled even during a current term need to be filled by a nomination and vote process of the Society Membership.

That is my 2 cents for today.

The average government Per Diem for meals per day ranges from 46.00 to 71.00 Per day not mean and we are wanting to allow 105.00 that is excessive IMO.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
chrislorentz;197312 said:

I also think there needs to be some type of process to remove any Board Member other than a simple vote by the people who decide they dont like someone. I feel it needs to be a process of documentation to the membership of the Society and some type of vote by the membership other than just the BOD.

I also feel any vacancies of the BOD to be filled even during a current term need to be filled by a nomination and vote process of the Society Membership.

+1

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
scchase;196983 said:
IV.4. Members shall not exploit MASC meetings, events or facilities to promote their own commercial interests, where commercial interest shall be any activates undertaken with the primary purpose of making money. This restriction, however, shall not prevent members from participating in personal commercial activities, such as purchasing advertising in MASC publications, provided such activities are also available to members and non-members.
Should the red highlighted word actually be activities?

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Ok some changes have been made regarding the meal per diem and term lengths, hopefully this will address some of your concerns while also allowing the Bod to function well. I would like to start the 14 day review process after tommorow so please continue to make comments.

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
can we get the bylaws being changed to show up in a different color or something so that we don't have to search for the current bylaw then switch over to this thread to read the revised version and then switch back to the current bylaws to reread the law to ensure it makes sense and benefits the club?

1. Not sure if i missed it or not but what is or is there a bylaw amendment that addresses accountability for misuse and or unauthorized use of club funds.

2. i think that special committees which are designated any club funds should be required to provide proof of where funds were spent withing a given time frame say 72 hours from time of request. If someone who has club funds cannot be reached and or respond within 72 hours they should not have access to club funds.

these are some of my thoughts so far.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I haven't been around much...and see that I missed comment period...but would suggest (perhaps for future update) open meetings plus a clause for executive session, below I found an example of this. This is a common way to balance transparency with a BOD need to huddle behind closed doors on occasion, for the benefit of the club. FWIW I support the higher expense limit on the basis that board business is understood by the members (heck, BOD is volunteering to run the ship, if they're conducting board business and it requires them to be away from their family for a night, I hope they don't eat dinner at McDonald's :) ). Anyway, that was already resolved it seems...but thought I'd throw another opinion out there. As others have expressed around here, I as a paying member greatly appreciate the sacrifice of the BOD, and am happy to see a positive outcome from recent growing pains.

The Executive Board may go into executive session from which everyone is excluded except currently serving elected Board members. The Board may invite relevant individuals, as required, for consultation. The session may be called by simple majority vote for the purpose of discussing any matters of business which the Board may consider confidential or sensitive, however no vote may be taken in executive session except to recess, adjourn, or come out of executive session. The motion to call a session must include identification of invited individuals, the purpose of the session and disposition of minutes for the session.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
14 days have passed since the last revision and intended start date of the waiting period so a poll for voting has been added . Please consider the bylaws based on what is best for the club as a whole.