New cube build

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
othercents;94173 said:
Using anything other than weld-on on acrylic will cause it to leak or fall off especially when you have pvc parts that might move when performing maintenance. I also noticed that maybe the parts are not exactly the same sizes. If that is true then you will need some of the thicker weldon, so you can fill the seams better. I only use silicon for acrylic if I'm putting acrylic into a glass sump, and even then I have to be careful not to cause too much pressure against the acrylic when filling the water that it comes loose from the silicon.

I have weld-on #3 if you want to borrow it for this project. However you probably need weld-on #16 if you have to fill gaps, or a mixture of weld-on #3 and acrylic shavings to make a paste.
Thanks for the offer. If I can't find it I will ask but I will go after work today and see what I can find. The parts are all the same size as far as I can tell. I had lowes cut it for me. Any cutting I can avoid I do lol

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Denvercherub;94147 said:
Well I ended up buying a router attachment for the dremel... that was a total disaster with it slipping all over and chipped some acrylic. I had to stop before I messed it up even more. I will use a small tooth hacksaw tomorrow. I guess it will go very slow but I tried all I could at this point and am a bit irritated at the situation.
I think the difference is that people who do this enough use wood templates to guide the tools, or if you don't have one then bracing the tool against a 2x4 works. This way you are consistently putting pressure against the brace instead of free handing it. I'm also not sure if the dremel has the right bit to cut acrylic as easily as a router has. Most use a carbide laminate trimming bit.

Denvercherub;94147 said:
Buy it rr is the only way i will ever do it again. Some people should not use tools
The best reef tanks are going to be DIY tanks, so it is just a matter of finding the right help. Cutting teeth into acrylic is not a simple task unless you have templates to guide the tools.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
othercents;94173 said:
Using anything other than weld-on on acrylic will cause it to leak or fall off especially when you have pvc parts that might move when performing maintenance. I also noticed that maybe the parts are not exactly the same sizes. If that is true then you will need some of the thicker weldon, so you can fill the seams better. I only use silicon for acrylic if I'm putting acrylic into a glass sump, and even then I have to be careful not to cause too much pressure against the acrylic when filling the water that it comes loose from the silicon.

I have weld-on #3 if you want to borrow it for this project. However you probably need weld-on #16 if you have to fill gaps, or a mixture of weld-on #3 and acrylic shavings to make a paste.
where did you buy yours?

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
LOL!

Well I may need to borrow it if thats cool. I can give you a frag or just pay you lol. I have called hobby stores and glass shops and no one knows what it is. I am trying grainger next but losing all hope lol

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got mine from Colorado plastics in Louisville. Nice guys too.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
DId you try a hobby store that sells nothing but RC, cars and that type of stuff? Not hobby lobby...

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I called colpar hobbies and they have it.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;94221 said:
I called colpar hobbies and they have it.
Nice thanks!

Boogie;94219 said:
I got mine from Colorado plastics in Louisville. Nice guys too.
Super far but thanks :)

rockys_pride;94212 said:
the shop by keys island I know has some, Santa Fe and something. South of Reef and Pond.
This sounds like the closest to my place lol let me know if you remember otherwise I'm calling colpar here pretty quick

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you go to colpar hobbies you can stop by aquamart... lol

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
oh never mind they are closed today.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
oh lol sorry! yep I went and got it :) I'm waiting on the second piece to dry right now. I ended up using a small saw to do the slits in the back of the aquarium. it's all jagged lol but it will do the trick. I don't care personally xD

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
well the weld on is vastly superior to any glue/silicone. There are some small gaps though. I will try to make a paste out of shavings, if not I will get the weldon 16 or w/e number it was. Don't mind the smudges I will clean them when it's on...

[attachment=59788:name]