New to the forum, not new to the hobby

Dracx

Cleaner Shrimp
Hey all, here's my introduction. I've only ever had CF lights so basic softies were my choice, plenty of reef-friendly fish and basic inverts. Always on a budget, I managed to have a pretty nice setup for myself.

My saltwater addiction started about 2003 after 5-6 years of keeping freshwater varieties. I set up a 30gal with 2x65W CFs, Amiracle sump and a DIY HOB refugium with a 36W CF.
View attachment 3236

In 2006 I bought a house and had room to upgrade so I went with a 55gal using the same hardware.
View attachment 3237

But, in 2009, working two jobs left me know time to take care of my babies, so I sold it off and switched to freshwater (African Cichlids). Now, working from home, I have much more time available. So, in July of 2011 I decided to start small with a Biocube 8. Everyone has been happy and doing well, though the softies are very slow growing. Guess that's no surprise given the stock lights in this tank.
View attachment 3238

Finally, about 6 weeks ago, I decided to get my 55gal back to some salties again. I moved the Africans to a 30gal in my office and kickstarted my 55gal with a dirty filter and bioballs from my 8gal Biocube. Adding about 2-3 fish per week I'm up to 2 Yellow Damsels, 2 Chromis, 6 Yellowtail Damsels and 2 Clowns and half a dozen hermits. I was trying to keep away from a sump for right now so I am using an Emperor 400, a Prizm Pro Deluxe skimmer and 1 circulation pump. I've got the 2x65W CF running new 20,000K lights and 1 36W CF (from my old refugium) running a 10,000K with some pathetically fake decorations instead of live rock.
View attachment 3239

My plan is to add some Angles, which I've never had before, and eventually a sand-sifting goby and a couple of Skunk Cleaner Shrimp and Peppermint Shrimp. I'm hoping for a Flame Angel to be added this week then maybe a Coral Beauty or Bi-color Angel after that. I'd like to swap out the 36W CF for another 2x65W CF to showcase the fish in a better light.

I always loved colorful softies but angels should preclude that from happening in this tank. Besides, I don't have the lights to keep some of the spectacular zoas that a lot of members on here are keeping. I'd love to attend a DBTC but I don't think my plain softies would have much demand, nor would either tank support those very colorful ones I always see up for adoption.
View attachment 3240

Maybe at some point in the future I'll put aside an LED lighting fund and go that route. In any case, I still enjoy reading the posts here and admiring other member's setups.

Cheers!

ChrisB

Butterfly Fish
Sup

Dracx

Cleaner Shrimp
dv3;118201 said:
welcome to the club ...how did you hear about us
A few years ago, when I was running my old 55 reef, I was on the verge of joining RMRC. A couple months ago I searched for it again and trace it's decline and the rise of DARC and MASC. So, here I am.

rockys_pride;118207 said:
Welcome! How did you choose your stocking list?
Mainly I start with shopping various retail stores to see what's available and what is visually appealing to me. Then I research them online and in a few books that I have had on hand from when I first started the hobby. When checking online I'll look at other species that catch my eye and research further from there. I try to check several different sources to check general compatibility and specific experiences and take it from there.

Why do you ask, did I do something wrong?

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dracx;118216 said:
Why do you ask, did I do something wrong?
you posted pics so he just didnt know what else to say ....he is our resident "pics brah" guy

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome (back) to the madness, check out the equipment for sale, there are a good number of quality used fixtures, any of which would be an upgrayedd (the two D's are for a Double Dose of pimpin') from PC.
There is also always cheap, or free live rock so making the switch from the FW decor wont be too difficult.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome! I'm also pretty much in T-town (far east though). I have a ton of live sand right now (spoken for by Wicked)...but I have enough, even including what I'm keeping for myself to give you some if you need a further kick start! It's pretty fine though, sugar sand size. Anyhow, glad you made it here!

Dracx

Cleaner Shrimp
ShelbyJK500;118355 said:
Welcome! I'm also pretty much in T-town (far east though). I have a ton of live sand right now (spoken for by Wicked)...but I have enough, even including what I'm keeping for myself to give you some if you need a further kick start! It's pretty fine though, sugar sand size. Anyhow, glad you made it here!
I'm way Northeast (Holly & 136th) Thornton, actually in a Brighton zipcode. My sandbed includes 2" of crushed and coarse coral topped with 1" of fine sand. The back of my house looks out acroos farmland and all the way to DIA. Thanks for the sand offers but my cycle is going great. I've been checking for ammonia a couple times a week and only once did it appears somewhere between 0 - 0.25ppm and diatoms have just started to show in the last couple of days. This did reminde me, however, to check Nitrates to verify the cycle is established. Sure enough, my Nitrates are at 20ppm and no sign of ammonia. Time for a water change today! Maybe I'm over-feeding a bit. I feed pellets twice a day and occasionally substitute with spirulina brine shrimp. I should get some snails today, too.

The skimmer hasn't pulled out much but seems to be working fine. When I stir up the sand too much the water clouds and the skimmer does a great job of pulling that out. On a side note, before I got my skimmer, I did buy some "Live Sand" that specifically said rinsing was not needed... LIES!!! My tank spent its first weeks holding milk. The included "bio magnet" must made the cloud stick as a white mat to the decorations, filters and glass. I bought some clarifier but any disturbance of the sand kicked it all back up again. Finally, once I got the skimmer, it did a great job of cleaning it right up.

Dracx

Cleaner Shrimp
Thanks to some great deals in the Equipment For Sale section, I was able to "Frankenstein" a couple of broken lights into a fully functional 4x65W PC fixture with moonlights.
For my 55 gallon tank.

Once that was running I was able to upgrade my Fish-only system to a softies setup starting with some transfers from my Biocube setup. Thanks to my new DBTC friends for helping kick-start my inventory.

I've got a couple of circulation pumps due to arrive tomorrow. Those will be connected to my Wavemaster to get some varied currents going. And, if I can get a return pump and plumbing from a someone, I can get my old sump running.