Newby critter id help

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im new at id'ing critters and dont know what to google to find the answer. Here is the latest things ive found under a rock in my tank, i only noticed it because my starfish went under there and then he died the next day. here are the pics of what i found, could use a little help with an id.
The rock was dipped before it went into the tank.
View attachment 13840 View attachment 13841 Also i am missing a blue damsel and have no idea where he went, his tank mates are 1 lont tent anem, 2 ocalairus (sp?) clowns, and a longhorn cowfish.

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
im thinking pineapple sponge on the fuzzy thing in the first pic but verification?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
2nd pic looks like it's just a tube for a small fan worm. nothing to worry about there.

Agreed, 1st looks like sponge, second tube worm. Neither would kill a starfish, maybe there is another culprit lurking about. Was he damaged? Does it look like something attacked him or started eating him?

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
anemone could have eaten the damsel, my rainbow ate the damsel that the clownfish antagonized. Damsel chased the clown around a rock and BAM... anemones tentacles. Damsel got pulled in before i could even think about what to do... as far as the starfish, assuming all levels are ok, my starfish have been know to (on unsecured rocks or heavy rocks sitting on the sand) lift the rock and attempt to climb under for food trace... and the rock or sand will shift and squish the starfish. if u dont notice... itll die. So could that have been an option? if not... then i shutter to think whats in ur tank that killed a starfish and a damsel. GL!!

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
it could be the rock falling on it but that seems to be the only thing i can think of because it was a huge blue linka, as for the damsel its just weird it always stayed away from the nem and he just "dissapeared. as for the starfish dieing, no he was fine for a long time levels have all been normal for months he didnt have any damage that i noticed.although he had a crease on one arm now that i think about it, it was pretty far up/ almot in the main body.

The crease could be a sign of what plumcrazy said, excessive weight on the creased spot from a rock trapping him. I had issues with my rock trapping my SS starfish and a dartfish when they would bury under it. Since then I made sure to place all my rock directly on the glass bottom and pull the sand around it. Best of luck though, it's always a sad day to have a tankmate pass on... :'(