Peppermint shrimp that eat Aiptasia

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I went out on my normal fish store trek today with the ultimate goal of hitting Aquamart for some Peppermint Shrimp to help with an Aiptasia issue that has sprang up in my tank. Jeff was not positive where the shrimp were sourced from when I asked, but when I explained why I wanted them he came up with a great test. Jeff walked over to another tank that had a rock with a couple of Aiptasia on it, and dropped the rock into the tank with all the shrimp.

I am not exactly sure what I expected to happen. Perhaps the shrimp would explore the rock and then pick at anything they found that look good, perhaps they would run to the corners of the tank and hide in fear from this new arrival, or perhaps they would just ignore this new item and continue what they were doing.

What I did not expect was what looked like a school of piranha descending on a cow carcass. The drops from the splash had not even finished landing back in the water when the shrimp began fighting each other to see who could get to the things first. It was like they could all smell the things. And in under 3 seconds they had wiped the rock clean.

Moral of the story. The shrimp at Aquamart are the real deal. These are the droids you are looking for.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Plenty. Looked like 15-20 left in the tank.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blindrage;291867 said:
So I went out on my normal fish store trek today with the ultimate goal of hitting Aquamart for some Peppermint Shrimp to help with an Aiptasia issue that has sprang up in my tank. Jeff was not positive where the shrimp were sourced from when I asked, but when I explained why I wanted them he came up with a great test. Jeff walked over to another tank that had a rock with a couple of Aiptasia on it, and dropped the rock into the tank with all the shrimp.

I am not exactly sure what I expected to happen. Perhaps the shrimp would explore the rock and then pick at anything they found that look good, perhaps they would run to the corners of the tank and hide in fear from this new arrival, or perhaps they would just ignore this new item and continue what they were doing.

What I did not expect was what looked like a school of piranha descending on a cow carcass. The drops from the splash had not even finished landing back in the water when the shrimp began fighting each other to see who could get to the things first. It was like they could all smell the things. And in under 3 seconds they had wiped the rock clean.

Moral of the story. The shrimp at Aquamart are the real deal. These are the droids you are looking for.
:rofl:

good stuff.