RO/DI Question

Hi!
We have Adams county water, and just about all the homes out here including my own, has a water softener. I don’t know enough about reverse osmosis systems, so would that effect it? Or is it installed before the softener? Adams county is also working on a mass water softening project so I was just wondering how/if this would effect an RO system?

Here’s the link to the Adams county project

https://www.sacwsd.org/251/Updates-About-Water-Softening-Project-20

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I’m not an RODI expert. I did a little searching on the inter-webs. I found the following thread on R2R:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/water-softener-rodi.259501/

It seems like the general opinion is that the soft water isn’t going to be a problem. That anything the water softener adds which might be detrimental to the tank would be easily filtered by the RODI.

I tried educating myself about the softening process. I remember my grandpa adding some sort of sodium to his on a regular basis. It looks like that’s still a reality, that the softening process removes Ca and Mg (probably others) and the byproduct is elevated sodium levels in the final “softened” water. So, the RODI needs to remove that sodium as opposed to needing to remove the native minerals in the original water source.

Hope someone smarter than me can chime in and correct if I’m off here. It looks to me like you’ll be fine even if your utility supplies a pre-softened water. Just keep up with your RODI filters.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Following along! I am curious as well. I even wonder if adding a water softener on my house would help extend the life of my filters since I get some pretty nasty calcium buildups on my bathroom fixtures.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Find out if you all have Chloramines and then call somebody like Water General. They are helpful and will have all of the answers. A water report might help them too.

Thank you! I will double check on the chloramines, and also appreciate the info on what softeners do. I have some research to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sadams

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
For what it is worth, I did a little research and found that Denver Water uses Chloramines and then found that BRS has a Carbon Block filter which is very good at removing Chloramines (Universal Carbon Block 1 micron SKU: 208657), just for information/what I learned :)

NickP

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Don't know if Mark Mann is on here but he has a softener with his system and says its great. If you are on Facebook messenger give him a shout , hes a very helpful guy. he will give you every detail you need.