Substrate for my new build

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So, I am ready to start adding sand to my 75gal aquarium that I just picked up and I was looking for some recommendations on substrate. Please include a brief explanation on why its good. I've already decided against black as I have read a lot of bad things about that. I appreciate all and any advice, thank you in advance.

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm hoping to get a jawfish one day, so I'm not sure how fine I need to go.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
1.0mm and smaller is what most people tend to like. A little bit up to 1.5 is not too bad.

Make sure it is aragonite. Silica sand won't buffer PH, control phosphate or house as much anoxic bacteria as the aragonite will.

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sweet, so it looks like I will definitely be buying aragonite. Should I use the same in my sump if I go with a refugium? I like finer grain substrates so I will probably go with probably go with the 1mm if I can find it. Is the caribsea Aragon-alive a decent product?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tropic Eden is super nice, doesn't have the cloud of dust that you have to rinse thru.

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I honestly have no idea. I have 2 WP10s or MP 10s or whatever bush is doing the group buy for on the way. The tank I bought has a little giant pump, though I am not sure of the size.

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I ended up with three different substrates and am currently blending them together:
40 lbs of CaribSea Dry aragonite that is about 1.25 - 2.00mm
20 pounds of Caribsea CoraLine Aragonite
and 16 pounds of CaribSea Arag-Alice Natural Reef