Sump advice plz

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
OK so im thinking chamber 1 live rock, chamber 2 refugium chamber 3 return pump and protein skimmer ......is that right?

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Depends on how you want it. I had/ have mine 1st skimmer, second fuge + live rock, 3rd return. 1st and 3rd have heaters

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
xjmav;236514 said:
Depends on how you want it. I had/ have mine 1st skimmer, second fuge + live rock, 3rd return. 1st and 3rd have heaters
That's how mine was when I was doing a fuge. Now we have a sump with no chambers- just artfully piled rock to cut down on bubbles.

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Couple good reasons mentioned above for putting skimmer in your first section. Sometimes those darn mini bubbles get pulled into your main pump and go right into your tank.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 skimmer first. No reason to seperate rock and refugium really other than takes up space from the chaeto. Make sure first section is large enough to fit whatever skimmer you'll get. With the extra space you could also pile rock in there. Big thing would be just 3rd section only needs to be large enough for return pump. Then set it off with 3 plates to create a baffle. Can stuff that with filter stuff to cut out on any bubble problems or larger stuff from escaping into pump area.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
CindyL;236516 said:
That's how mine was when I was doing a fuge. Now we have a sump with no chambers- just artfully piled rock to cut down on bubbles.
+1. Can achieve baffle effect by being creative and keeping your sump without baffles. Great way to go if you don't have specific final outcome in mind on your first sump, as you will end up playing and changing things. With baffles, this will be more complicated.

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
I run a 2 chamber sump, if nothing else to keep my water level exactly where I want it for my skimmer. I run my ato on my apex, so there is a fluction of water level in the return chamber between times the ato runs.

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
well the sump was pre planned for the tank lots of baffles i bought it from a forum member good plan out im just trying to get info there are pics of it listed in my tank build thread for the 75 gallon.