Tang Trouble

My yellow tang has redish oarnge by it's tail. It's on both sides and looks blotchy. Could it be blood inside the skin? the spot is maybe 1/2 a square in. thanks for any help!

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is it around the bone surgeon? Yellow tangs used to get a fungal infection of the surgeon all the time after shipping. I never really found a good treatment.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes, the white bone on the tail is what I was referring to as the surgeon(not sure what the bone is called). It's been four+ years since I was dealing with it, but if I remember correctly, it looks red, white and bumpy. Kind of like the STD pictures they showed you in High School(only reference I can think of). Often times it resulted in loss or partial loss of the bone. You can try pimafix and melafix in a display, but you will have to turn off your skimmer. I may have had some luck with those, but it has been a long time. You can ask Will from Premier this weekend. He was the person I learned from about fish disease, treatment and quarantine. I will be there also if you would like to discuss it.

Thank you so much for your help. sadly, i can't make it this weekend... :( my tang doesn't look bumpy. what Happened to your fish? I'll try to get pics...