The ABYSS (fireheadman tank)

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is the start for my build thread...... I did one of these types of threads many moons ago on a jeep forum for a previous supercharged, stroked grand cherokee (550HP), that I drag raced at Bandimere.

Hopefully this build will turn out well, I am budgeting about $10K for it.
I will continually update this first thread as things progress for hardware/livestock additions.

TO start, here is what I am working with (I will get pictures on here soon)....

Tank/Enclosure:

• Dimensions are 59"L x 16"W x 32"H (Roughly 130 Gallons)
  • Wall Thickness is 3/4" Arcylic, w/ 1/8" blue acrylic on side and used for trapezoid overflow
  • 1 return, 1 supply
  • Cost was $2600 by a local acrylic shop (went through KeyIsland to have it custom built)
  • Location of tank is in wall, separating the office and the living room
  • Wall had double studs installed, with double beams that are lag-bolted and use simpson supports
  • Wood/Trim is select Alder, the living room panel can be completely dettached from wall for easier access
  • Custom select Alder cabinet doors were made
  • Sump area has a custom molded fiberglass pan, formed to walls and floor, with a shower drain that dumps to outside, this is for any emergency overflow to save hardwood floors and to use as drain for water changes.
  • Drain also serves as fresh air intake/supply to provide fresh air to refugium/sump area, in future I will have small fans pulling/pushing air
  • Power has been wired in top and bottom areas, which has a APC UPS 1500 series that can run the entire tank for an hour on a power outage

Filtration/Reservior:

• Ace Roto Mold 55 gallon w/ 8" screw on top, used for holding saltwater, barrel is food grade plastic and sits on a stand
  • (x3) 5 gallon drinking water jugs (with molded handles) for storing water and transporting for friends and to bring to aquarium for water changes
  • Spectra Pure Max Cap 5 stage RO/DI system with permeate pump and water saver (2:1 ratio) installed.... RO stage has split installed to fill up a 7 gallon pressurized tank for whole house steam humidifier, DI stage has split for 55 gallon reservoir then goes into bladder tank to ATO on sump
  • Spectra Pure ATO system installed on refugium sump with air pressure vacuum solenoid and backup manual float
  • Custom refugium/sump made, acrylic was cut by Plasticare.... I designed the sump to be two pieces in order to fit in the wall and under the tank
  • Return pump is Danner Mag Drive 18
  • AquaC EV-180 protein skimmer w/ all options, powered by Danner Mag Drive 9.5 pump, has dump plumbed to overflow container
  • Eshopps magnet probe holder
  • Eshopps 4" round filer sock holder, w/ 200 micron sock
  • 2-1/2" circular bio baskets loaded in overflow to ease noise and provide a wet/dry system

Circulation:

• Tunze 6105 (x2) pumps w/ wide flow nozzle installed
  • Tunze extended magnet installed (rated up to 1.06" acrylic)

Lighting/Heating:

• EcoTech Marine Radion XR30w Gen2 LED lights (x2), using EcoSmart LIVE to operate lights
  • WavePoint HO LED 6500K sump light, runs when radions are not on.
  • Eheim Jager 150 watt heaters (x2 in refugium/sump) and (x1 in reservoir)

Computer(s):

• Neptune Systems APEX Headunit
  • LSM Lunar module w/3 string LED

Livestock/Coral/Live Rock/Sand:
  • Pair of black clowns "Marlin and Coral"
  • Fire shrimp (x1) "Dexter"
  • Cleaner shrimp (x1) "Daryl"
  • Peppermint shrimp (x1) "Jacques" RIP --> He went MIA one day, never saw him since. Possibly the anemone ate him?
  • Emerald crab (x2)
  • Turbo snail (x3), unless they die
  • Astrea snails (a lot)
  • Hermits, (a lot), until they pull each other out of shell
  • Sail Fin Tang
  • Lawnmower Blenny
  • Hawaiian Anthias (Yellow/Pink) (x2)
  • Yellow Tang
  • Finger leather (unsure of name)
  • Toadstool leather
  • Frogspawn (x3 types)
  • Bubble coral
  • Green finger leather (unsure of type/name)
  • Red Challis
  • Green Challis
  • Red mini brain coral
  • Green star polyps
  • blue mushroom
  • green mushrooms
  • green w/ pink bubble tip anemone
  • Approx 110lbs of live rock, 2 pieces are over 40lbs each
  • Approx 100lbs of live sand (figi pink)
  • purple acopora (spelling?)
  • green slimer LPS
  • Gorgonian Fan (purple)
  • Donken LPS (spelling)
  • couple small brain corals
  • Red Scooter Blenny (Dragonet) - "Scooter"
  • Diamond Watchman Goby
  • Pigmy Angel (Purple w/yellow face)
  • Green Brittle Starfish

MISC:

• All wires/cables are neatly looped with velcro and secured with fasteners
  • Kent scrapers (one is telescoping)
  • 5" net

Last edited by a moderator:

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: The ABYSS (fireheadman tank)

Wow man, you've thought this out. But a build thread isn't complete without pics :)

Have you thought about what you want to keep? Any mock-up scaping ideas?

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh there will be picks... I am still formatting the first post, then I will start the pictures...

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think they might be auto deleted within the hour, so for the amount of pictures I will be posting, I am going to stand up my home webserver again so I can host them.... then will repost them this weekend.

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
so I signed up for a photobucket account... for some reason, I have to uncheck the box to "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" in order to post pictures. Is there a better way for this?

Here are few from tonight...
Base rock that I have to build on, I am at 3 months on the cycling....

This is the split sump that I designed....

And here is the canopy area....

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
If someone knows a better way of posting pictures, please let me know.... also any tips on taking pictures to reduce the "blue" tinting

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The ABYSS (fireheadman tank)

I got tapatalk makes adding pics a breeze.

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
the photo storage place is not the issue... its attaching them to the forum.
In some forums I have seen attached files appear as thumbnails, once you click on one, they enlarge and you are given the option to flip through them one at a time.

On here, every picture is attached in full zoom, which is taking up a lot of space on the post...... So is there a better way to attach pictures when using a remote location like photobucket?

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Pics are showing ok for me through tapatalk.

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
actually... yeah, my tank is about as close to stabilized as it can be. I have been dosing with calcium, alkalinity, and strontium supplements to get her ready for corals and more fish.

earlier this week I noticed some stress cracks on the sump, which is the result of over-tightening the bulkhead fittings, so I will end up using some scrap acrylic and gluing a piece to the sump and re-drilling holes. This should re-enforce the sump by making it twice as thick in that area. I had to re-order a new set of threaded 1" bulkheads, which just arrived yesterday. When I pull the sump out for the repair I will snap some pics of the surgery..... This should take my sump offline for about 3hrs tops and will constitute as a 15% water change, so it shouldn't be too bad for my tank since I do not have much going on in it right now.

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haven't put anything out here in a couple weeks... thought I would say a little.

I was up late last night... going into the morning setting up and configuring the Neptune APEX controller. This controller is definitely a lot more complex than the Reefkeeper! BUT, I can also see the benefits of it as long as you understand how to program it using the APEX code... which seems like a double-sided sword if you mix up the logic. Reefkeeper is the easiest to hookup and go.

Right now I have both the APEX and Reefkeeper running side by side (RKE still controls the pumps/heater/ato/skimmer/circulation and I have the APEX running ph and temp and signaling the ports (going through the motions). One thing I wish the APEX had was the inventory database like the Reefkeeper has, I use this on the RKE to keep track of when livestock and components are added.. Also wish the APEX had a beefier headunit cable!... The current looks like it would snap in a heartbeat under tension and a door closing on it. THink I also like the disk of the RKE over the APEX.

....Given all that, I will have to make due with APEX since it has the programming potential for my Tunze pumps.

ialtalal

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Nice thanks for the feedback :D its definitely helps me as I am planning to buy an apex

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here's some more...

I would say the Reefkeeper is well suited for someone that does not have a lot of time to fiddle around with coding or is easily distracted by too many options. You could have a system up and running in about 1.5hrs using the RKE. You also have 3 ways to access the interface (computer, over network, headunit).

The Apex is going to take some time to plan out how you want everything to work, then more time to research programming examples that fit your setup. You can access it via network and headunit only. An average setup would take about 3hr min to code everything.