The "Beast" cube - a Sargassum Angler's tank

lesserwhirls

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
fishguy69;335879 said:
Welcome to the club! Let me know when you need another fisherman/fisherwoman....LOL
I'll be up that way in a few weeks for work (Tuesday, Feb. 17th) and I'll try to swing by! I've been meaning to get up that way for quite some time, but just haven't had the opportunity. I've been looking for some torch coral or frogspawn - do you all ever get those in the store?

lesserwhirls

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here are some pics. First up, Resal!

He's a happy camper. Here's a full tank shot:

...and yes, Resal likes that pot in the bottom right corner of the tank, just like Laser did *laughs*

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
How is this tank going? I'm in the process of getting a 35 rimless set up for either a frog fish or sargassum. Any advice?

lesserwhirls

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, the tank is still going, but poor Resal didn't make it. It looks like both sargassum anglers died of a bacterial infection (dropsy). I wasn't around when the first one died, but looking back, he probably had it too. I suppose we didn't give the tank long enough time between the two fish. I recall reading somewhere that the anglers are somewhat susceptible to that condition, so we've decided to take a long break from them before trying again. Up until a few days before they died, the were both eating well (frozen silversides), and the water parameters were always in check. They coral and inverts (snails, conches) were fine before and after.

That said, both were easy to get on frozen food. After about a week of feeding them ghost shrimp, they happily seemed to take frozen silverside off a bamboo skewer. It wasn't long that they both started 'attacking' the bamboo skewer out of excitement. I was worried about getting them on frozen food, but it was very easy.

Super cool fish with great personalities.

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry to hear about the losses.

It's good to hear that getting them on frozen wasn't that difficult. Most of what I've read so far says that's the biggest challenge. Good luck for when you decide to try again!