The "Beast" cube - a Sargassum Angler's tank

lesserwhirls

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hi all!

I've been lurking around for a month or so, and have really enjoyed following the conversations on the site! I stumbled upon the MASC forums from a Mind Blowing Corals live sale ad posted on Craigslist...so glad I did, too!

My family and I have had a 72 gallon bow front (with a 40 gallon sump/refugium) for just a few weeks shy of a year now, and have absolutely loved it (me, my wife, and two kids, ages 6 and 8)!

My youngest loves it so much, he decided he wanted a Sargassum Angler (frogfish) for his upcoming birthday during one of our trips to the LFS. After he agreed to pay for the fish and his food, as well as care for the tank (with my help), we looked into what it would take. Given that an angler would have a field day in our 72 with our other fish, we knew that this would mean getting another tank - oh darn, the horror ;-)

We found a 29 gallon tank (Oceanic, 1st gen) on Craigslist for $80...not bad at all, but it was several months into a green hair algae outbreak and needed some TLC (still, not bad!). It came with stock PC lighting, heater, biocube protein skimmer, live rock with red star polyp coral, a few mushrooms, live sand, several bottles of reef stuff (not sure what to do with it all at this time), and a yellowtail blue damsel...did I mention the basketball sized ball of green hair algae that the damsel called home?

I told my son that I'd go in half on the tank if he let me keep coral in it, and he agreed. Here's a pic from the day we brought it home:

Not very pretty, even with most of the algae removed...

We got it cleaned up, filled with new salt water, and started the waiting game.

I put in a piece of silverside to help get the nitrogen cycle going.

My mother was coming into town, so we had a QT tank setup to be ready to hold the angler so that we could get him when she came to visit (the fish was her early present to my son). Since the qt was up and running and we had a few weeks before my mom's visit, we put the damsel that came with the biocube in there. Unfortunately, he didn't make it through the night (missed the huge hunk o' algae that he called home, I suppose). However, once we got the angler, he did great in the qt:

Thanks to the live rock and sand, everything went relatively smooth with the cycle in the biocube. As of this past weekend, the angler is in the biocube and is living it up. He loves to "ride" the return flow, and he has made his new home inside of a somewhat tacky pot from petco...I thought my son was nuts for wanting it, but turns out he was right - the angler loves it (in the background of this pic)!

The angler has no name at the moment, although my son is considering "laser", because he says the only way the fish could be more of a beast would be if it had a laser on its head!

"Laser" was fed various live fish and ghost shrimp in the store over a period of almost two months. We've kept him on that diet since we've had him (about two weeks now). Here's a short video of a ghost shrimp trying to escape from the belly of the beast:

https://vimeo.com/104362153

He just took his first piece of silverside tonight...I figure frozen silverside is more nutritious than freshwater feeder fish or ghost shrimp. We'll try some other frozen food as time goes by, but I'm stoked he took the silverside.

We're researching potential tank mates at the moment. He has two turbo snails in the tank with him now, but they are big enough that he has not tried to eat them (no interest at all). We know fish are out of the question...maybe a tuxedo urchin or sea cucumber? We will see...more google-fu to do. I will give him and the tank a good month or two before we add any new critters, and given the size of the tank, we won't be adding much.

Well, that's all for now. I have a few mods in mind for the tank (these cubes seem to end up being heavily modified) and I need to replace the fans in the hood. Nothing big, but I would be happy to document things as we go along.

Thanks for reading, and hello!

Sean

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice start! I would recommend adding a bit more live rock to the tank when you get a chance. Anglers are pigs, so you will want as much filtration as possible. Make sure it is fully cured to minimize any additional cycling when you add it and do lots of water changes for the time being (10% weekly minimum). I would definately avoid a cucumber since larger ones dont tend to do well in smaller tanks.

lesserwhirls

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the tips! I plan on more live rock soon, and I've had good experiences with live rock from the LFS. I have a cucumber in my 72 gallon (about 4 inches long now), but I forgot how much space they need to thrive! We might have to "settle" with coral only for now, but I'm still searching for something that would work with him. Thanks again!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
:welcome: great write up, gotta love kids :) agree the angler would be well served by some more live rock. there is a surprising amount of fish that go with this guy as long as they are bigger then him you should be good. Other cleanup crews that might work too would be some larger brittle/serpant stars

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
J.goukas has an pincushion urchin for sale at the moment on the forum, might b worth looking into.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Great story. Fun to see your kids so excited about it. I'm in the process of setting up an angler tank as well, so I'll be following along.

lesserwhirls

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks again for all the replies! I picked up more live rock yesterday, and Laser decided to hide in his pot until things settled down. I'll probably add a bit more soon as well. Looking into the pincushion urchin on the forums - if he is close, I'll probably snag him (thanks for pointing it out Miah2bzy!)

I love having the kids involved. There seems to be so many early life lessons that can be learned in this hobby, plus it gives them a start on financial responsibility w.r.t. pet care (he pays for the food, will help chip in on salt), an into to chemistry, a practical application of math, etc. - the list goes on! Plus, the chance to do a school project featuring your very own carnivorous fish? Cool stuff for a 2nd grader!

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
That is one cool little angler. I have had a nano sitting in my basement for a long time now, hmmmmm.

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
How fun. He's going to love having an awesome fish like that. That's great.

lesserwhirls

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, things are still up and going and life is good. Laser happily eats thawed out silverside from a wooden skewer - he does not care that the fish is most obviously not alive! My son is able to feed him now, which is great - just put the fish-on-a-stick in the tank, and Laser swims right up and CHOMP! Also, Laser is still a fan if his tacky pot:

We added sore more rock, as suggested, and we may add a bit more later:

The star polyp is growing well, which is nice. One if the new pieces of live rock can with some palys attached, and they seem happy enough, as well as some palys from my 72. I have some purple pulsing xenia that have really taken off, and I may need to frag them soon to thin them out a bit!

I plan on doing the hood fan replacement later this week or maybe Saturday. Woohoo!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Looking good! Be sure to come to the meeting this weekend if you can, have several great frag packs in the raffle that would do pretty good in that tank :)

lesserwhirls

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok, so nix that. I have to fly back home to Indiana Saturday. My mother has been fighting cancer for the past three years and things are pretty much near the end now. Hopefully I'll make it to the October or November meeting.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Sorry to hear that and best wishes to your fam. There will certainly be other meetings

lesserwhirls

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks. I was really looking forward to the BBQ and finally meeting some people, but you're right - there will be many more chances.

lesserwhirls

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know it's been awhile since the update. We've been through quite a bit recently, and I've been a bit out of it. My mother, who bought my son the angler fish, passed away in September, and I've been finishing my PhD (finally done). Well, yesterday, the angler fish died. We still are not sure what happened. Nitrates were pretty high (80 mg/L), which may be due to him not eating one of the silversides I fed him and it "hiding" under a rock to decompose (won't let that happen again!). My son is devastated, and really wants another angler (a sargassum angler, specifically, just like the one we had). One thing that I'm a bit surprised about is that we have had several baby nassarius snails appear in the tank, and they are doing well, and the corals in the tank are doing well, too. Maybe it was just his time?

At any rate, what would you recommend we do in terms of prepping the tank for angler fish round 2?

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome to the club! Let me know when you need another fisherman/fisherwoman....LOL

lesserwhirls

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
So life is good in the "Beast" Cube again. My wife got another sargassum angler, and he's already been through several names (crossfin, coconut, pineapple) but my youngest has finally settled on Resal ("Laser", the previous fishes name, backwards). It took about two weeks to transition him from eating ghost shrimp to frozen silversides. We've added a bit more live rock, and a coral or two from my bigger tank, and everything appears to be good again.

I did switch out the stock biocube fans with a better set. I used Silenx IXP3416 iXtrema Pro Fans

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OZ7YFK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which are really awesome. However, there were a few gotcha's about these fans: 1) they are thicker than the stock fans, and 2) they have a three pin power connector instead of the a two pin power connector. This meant I had to do some wiring and a little drilling, but in the end everything is working out great. I followed a DIY post closely for this little project, so kudos to this post:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1051751&postcount=122

There are two upgrades I'd like to do for this tank still. I would like to upgrade the lights by adding a deep blue led strip for supplemental lighting (and to add that shimmer affect), and I'd like to upgrade the skimmer. The biocube skimmer is a little too wet for me, and the collection cup fills up in just a few days with mostly pale green water. I like the AquaC Urchin skimmer on my bigger tank, but I don't think that will fit in the biocube *laughs*

I'll post some pics later today. It's nice to be up and running again, and the youngest is so happy to have another angler in the house.