The humble 56 gallon

...of over the top, impossible to contain awesome.

I post on Nano-reef for the most part, but I think it's time to get to know the locals I've probably rubbed elbows with in an LFS or two. So, I've decided to start up a build thread, and branch out from there. With out further ado, the road so far:

The first concept sketch up (a program I still can't really use well)

The tank after being built:

The Skimmer:

The first pieces of rock trickling in from Reef Cleaners:

The Jebao DC12000 controllable pump that will power the closed loop:

How the USPS feels about sand:

I have a few other odds and ends photos that won't really add. I'll be constructing an "Evil Cluster" LED array to light both the main display, and the small display refugium on the side. The dims are 36"x30"x12", the refugium is an 20"x20"x10". I'll be using the fiberglass rod method on the rock work, and playing it by ear from there. I'm excited, it should be a fun build. Now I just have to finish that damned stand.

I have big plans, my friend...big plans. What I don't have are photography skills, so thank you for bearing with me haha.

This tank was built with an External, coast to coast, beananimal overflow. I just realized it's impossible to tell.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lookin good... Can't wait to see the end result. Your friends at Great White Aquatics (NOCO)

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
:welcome:

I'm loving that drop down display sump! Seems like that would be perfect for mangroves and macros. Is that what you're going to do with it?

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome. Tanks look great! Can't wait to see them in action.

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome!!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm going to be receiving a metric ton of LED supplies, I just hope I don't electrocute myself. I also have one of these dosing arrays coming soon:http://www.fish-street.com/fs_nt-01dosing_pump?category_id=126

I've heard the pumps aren't very accurate, but it's mostly going to be used for Phytoplankton and Kalkwasser, so here's hoping it'll fly as is.

The drop down refugium will be fed by one of the 2 main drain lines from the beananimal, and then overflow itself in to a 20L sump where the equipment will be stored. My biggest goal is to completely remove equipment from the DT, so I'll probably be playing with pond foam and sand for all of the locline in the tank. The closer I get to set up, the more exciting it is. I know it's probably just a frag tank to many here, but it's my "Dream with in a budget" tank.

CindyL;272889 said:
Tank size doesn't matter when it comes to beauty. ;-)
Well thank you. I've seen a lot of big, beautiful tanks on this forum before I decided to start my own thread. It'll take a lot of beauty to make up for the size difference. Challenge:Accepted.

Since I didn't actually answer you before, the small tank will indeed house Mangroves and Macro. I've had two Mangroves for a couple of years that are producing decent foliage and very long prop roots, so it should be interesting. The tank will also house many of my more rampant softies and maxi mini/rockflower/bubbletip nems (not a ton of each, mind you.) It may also be home to one of these if I can find them:

http://youtu.be/AINRATzfl9U

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Oh man this is an awesome tank!!!! This is almost exactly what I would love to have!!! The side car tank is a great idea

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Can't wait to see it grow. Out of curiosity why did you decide to go lower with the fuge as opposed to higher?

J.guokas;272987 said:
Water. Preferably the wet kind.
Oh, the small details. Once it has plumbing to flow through, I'll have all of the wettest water money can buy.

CRW Reef;273007 said:
Oh man this is an awesome tank!!!! This is almost exactly what I would love to have!!! The side car tank is a great idea
Thanks. It's been my dream tank for a long time. Actually having it in hand, the only thing I'd change would be another foot of length and another 4" of height, but you can all ways split hairs when trying to create your own version of perfection.

MuralReef;273073 said:
Can't wait to see it grow. Out of curiosity why did you decide to go lower with the fuge as opposed to higher?
...you know, for the life of me I can't remember. I think it was just so I wouldn't lose a viewing pane for the DT, since it's built as one continuous stand.

Well, I had a free minute with a drill bit, so I figured I'd party with the rock.

None of it's tacked down yet, and I doubt that'll be my final arrangement. I have big stuff in the works, biiiig stuff. I'm going to attempt my first "secret reveal" here, in case I ever decide to become a magician or a soap opera writer.