Tophers First Reef Experiment

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I consider any large scale project like this an experiment, a delving into the unknown. This experiment has taking a little more time than most of my haphazard attempts to recreate what others have done before me. I have contemplated chemistry, weight, livestock, lighting, and filtration just to get started. This has been a challenge that I might have found insurmountable had I not found this forum through a colleague who goes by the name Urkunde on this forum.

Since I have been here everyone has been extremely helpful, and people have bent over backwards to welcome me and help me along my arduous journey. I have been here for only two weeks and I have already met three members of this forum. Munch was kind enough to welcome my daughter and I into his home very early in my planning stages in order to give me some ideas on how to set up a tank and some other very helpful general reefing knowledge. His tanks were absolutely breathtaking and I hope to be able to create some of the same beauty in my own home. While I was there another member of the forum arrived to pick up some acrylic stick for securing rock together(I am so embarrassed that I cannot remember his name). You could tell that Munch was just really excited to help anyone he could. Reefchief is another member that I met today. He also welcomed me into his home and gave me an amazing deal on my first live rock purchase. He shared his brand new build with me as well that displayed some very impressive rock work and one of the most unique stands I have seen that even featured a small shelf(great place for a drink while you watch and relax). He was also kind enough to show my daughter and I his awesome holding tanks with beautiful corals and fish and some great tips on how to stack rock work.

Without the over-the-top commitment to helping others out that this forum and community has shown me I would still be dreaming of bringing a small slice of the ocean to my humble abode. I cannot stress enough what an absolute pleasure it has been to become a part of this community.

This adventure started as a plan to get a 29 gallon biocube for my daughter and has blossomed into a 75 gallon tank that I am anxiously awaiting from yet another member of this community(Darkstar). I wanted to begin this thread to chronicle what so many of you have already contributed to with your knowledge, support, and ideas. Without further ado, here is the first picture of my first attempt at building a reef system:
View attachment 16093

I know its not much :) but it is a start. Thank you again to all those who have been so instrumental in making this possible.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Thats some good lookin rock. LOL. Thanks for the kind words man. It was a pleasure meeting you and your daughter and im glad you enjoyed my little piece of the ocean. And like I said, you ever need anything youve got my numbet. Welcome to MASC, and of course, welcome to the addiction!

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome to the addiction. You are right, this is a great community with lots of wonderful and knowledgeable folks. I hope you enjoy the hobby as much as we all do. Just remember to take your time and continue to ask questions. This is a hobby that will always have something to teach you.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks like some good foundations!!! Look us up if you are ever in NOCO.

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think I'm going to be there on the 27th to visit by brother at college(not the one that broke my leg). I plan on stopping by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I finally was able to pick up a tank today! It is supposedly a 75g with built in over flow, though I have yet to measure it. I can't wait to get started.
[attachment=65273:name]

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Nice, 75s are good, ive like both that ive owned, youll have more than enough rock, thats for sure!! :)

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
The stand is really tall. It is about waist height for me. I kind of like it. Hopefully tomorrow I will have plenty of time to clean it and then I can start filling and cycling.

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
It did come with a sump actually, it just needs to be plumbed. It came with a pretty large pump too. I need to test all of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I was looking at that same setup - I used to buy corals from that guy. I was going to sand it down and paint it. Can't wait to see it filled and stocked! Keep us updated

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have added some water to the tank this evening to make sure it holds. I will keep you all posted.

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I finally got it all plumbed and filled. I made a durso style standpipe that seems to be working well. I can't really see anything in there so I have not arranged the rockwork yet, though it is in there for cycling. My sump needs a little work since it does seem to be leaking ever so slightly from one of the bulkheads. In about 3 or 4 weeks I might grab my first fish. For now it is just a waiting game.
[attachment=65305:name]
I apologize for the messy nature of my sump area. This was tossed in here to appease the boss(my wife) for the evening.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Do you have lights? Only reason Im asking is that canopy looks really short to house lights. Although I like a tall canopy, mine is 19", LOL!

Tanks looking good man, cant wait to see it all clean and clear. The build is by far my favorite part!!

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I do not currently have any lights. I am looking to get a pair of AI Hydras in the next week or two. I might end up building a new canopy as this on is definitely short. It has a pair of brackets inside, but I would feel better if it were a little taller. Although I am happy to report that my tank has cleared significantly since yesterday and I am super excited to get a chance to work on the rockwork tomorrow.
[attachment=65316:name]

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I finally got around to actually stacking my rockwork today after visiting Nick over at Ambrosio Aquatics. I ordered an awesome custom LUX 6 TS from him at a great price. I couldn't resist the urge to get some light over this tank while I wait for my new fixture to arrive so I decided to head to Home Depot for a cheap t12 fixture with a pair of 6500k bulbs just to get a little light in there so I could see what was going on. I also grabbed my first livestock today. I grabbed 12 Hermits, 6 Astrea Snails, and a Bangaii Cardinal(spelling?). Here is a few pics. This is my first attempt at stacking rock so I hope I did okay.
[attachment=65378:name]
[attachment=65377:name]

I like the scaping a lot. That will look awesome under your new lights. Keep the pics coming!

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
My parents went with me and my daughter to Aquamart today since it was veterans day today, and they did not have to work. And since tomorrow is my birthday they insisted that I get something while I was there. Luckily for me I got a great deal. I got 5 new corals, a bottle of pods and a clump of chaeto. This is my first coral in the tank and I can't wait for it to start growing.
[attachment=65433:name]
The first one seems to have opened up all the way, but I can't recall what it was. The second one is GSP, but it seems to not be so excited about the move. The 3rd one I can't remember what it is either, but my daughter loved it. The fourth is a Hollywood Stunner Chalice, and the last picture is torch. I hope this all goes well. I also grabbed a firefish the other day. Thanks again to Aquamart for all their help and I can't wait to get back up there to see them again.

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got yet another new addition today. I think I might have to stop for a while. So far all my parameters are still okay, but I am always worried. Today I just saw something I couldn't live without.
[attachment=65442:name]
This picture sure doesn't do it justice, but the blue spots on this Urchin are one of the coolest things I have ever seen. They almost glow. Thanks to those following along.