Tunas 57g Illuminata

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kitty like fishy...

gabe;129347 said:
I can't believe how much coverage that Kessil is putting out. Very impressive. Nice set-up, love the tank as well.
Thanks, I know I was really blown away. Especially since there wasn't much info on them when I got it a few months back. I've got it sitting about 7" off the water and it hits just about every area of the tank. I love it don't think I'll ever go with a different brand for lighting! Getting some SPS after x-mas so I will have to post some updates on how they do under just one of these lights!

36" wide and 21" deep

^thank you, apparently no one READS the thread haha

Smells, Nice setup. I have a Kessil on my 29g JBJ nano. I love mine as well. I can also tell you that your SPS should do fine. I put a few under mine and so far they are doing quite well. In fact all my corals soft, lps, sps seem to love the light almost too much! They are growing and opening up amazing. One thing I haven't been able to find out yet is what the PAR rating really is at the different levels of the tank. I can tell you that my little maxima and crocea on the sand are doing fine. Enjoy it! Boa.

boastrike;129401 said:
Smells, Nice setup. I have a Kessil on my 29g JBJ nano. I love mine as well. I can also tell you that your SPS should do fine. I put a few under mine and so far they are doing quite well. In fact all my corals soft, lps, sps seem to love the light almost too much! They are growing and opening up amazing. One thing I haven't been able to find out yet is what the PAR rating really is at the different levels of the tank. I can tell you that my little maxima and crocea on the sand are doing fine. Enjoy it! Boa.
Thanks, I don't know the rules on this but I am quoting these PAR readings from another forum I am a member of. :D

Recent PAR for the 10K on a 29 gallon biocube

The LED is 4" from the water, and maxed out the meter at 2888.

Surface was about =2000

Mid tank, 8" from surface =400-500

bottom 15" =80-90

The flashing this thing gave made it hard to settle on a number.

rockys_pride;129409 said:
From 2888 to 80-90 in 15"? That's a steep drop, or am I missing something?
What it says haha, BUT I did just stumble upon this... makes a good point.

In regards to the PAR talk on these, I received a response from David at Kessil;

"We do not have official PAR readings. There are some posted on different forums, but there seems to be some inconsistency. The linked post from reef central has PAR numbers on post #10. This is only for 1 light and would not reflect how multiple lights would read.

From what I understand there are a few things to note about PAR-

1) PAR is usually a flat value of light between 400-700nm and does not take into account the efficacy of each wavelength.

From what I understand most of the light coral use efficiently is from 400-500nm. PAR readings should be higher from a broad source of light like halides, t5s, or all "white" LEDs that have a good portion of light in the 500+ nm range vs. LEDs that have a mix of wavelengths. That is why most LEDs can be so much more power efficient. Because we can target individual wavelengths that may be most beneficial, and eliminate ones that may not be. PAR typically does not measure what blend of spectrum is the most usable, only photons in a given spectrum range.

For example, and please keep in mind these values are exaggerated for discussion, let's say 1mW of 460nm is 100% effective and 1mW of 560nm is 8% effective, typically your PAR meter will still read a total of 2mW of power and give you a reading based on those results.

2) Our A150W contains a portion of its light in the UV range and that will not be detectable unless the PAR meter is specifically designed to read UV.

We spent over 1 year testing the lights performance and they have been on display at stores for an additional 6-9months. While the A150W is not a direct comparison to a 150 halide in terms of coverage or visual brightness, the feedback we have received is that the penetration, shimmer, and growth has been comparable and in some cases better. Some testers bleached the tips of SPS because they underestimated the power that comes from the lights. Any change in light should be done carefully and thoughtfully especially on an established reef tank.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
David Lowry
Sales Manager "

Something to take in consideration. Don't let PAR value determine 100% of your decisions.

rockys_pride;130454 said:
Where did you get the kessil and how much?
Got it from marinedepot

Got some new updates! Picked up 4 new frags recently and a GBTA last night... here's some pics

Green birdsnest with blue polyps (starting to color up more then the pic shows)

A small frag of some type of acropora I believe (it's very blue) will try to ID after it grows out a little

Here's the GBTA.. he was out for the few hours he was in the tank last night and was in the same spot this morning but when the light kicked on he crawled into the rockwork... hoping he adjusts to the tank and comes out to play soon he's beautiful ~3" across

Favia frag... ID anyone?

Also picked up a small orange/purple zoa colony (not pictured), and discovered this macroalgae growing out of my rock I think it is red grape algae.. kinda cool

I'll post a FTS later tonight to show the placement of these guys in my tank

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
first pic looks like it could be a ponape(sp?) birds net
the 4th pic looks like a favia of some type not an acan

dv3;133096 said:
first pic looks like it could be a ponape(sp?) birds net
the 4th pic looks like a favia of some type not an acan
Thanks for the ID and the favia tip I had a feeling I was wrong about it being an acan

new zoa colony

Better shot of the GBTA

Lola the clown, pretty sure that she has began hosting the hair algae on my overflow haha! :) maybe she'll make the move to the nem