WalkPrazz's 40B Reef Profile/Log

While this is far overdue I thought why wait any longer. Hoping that my tank is somewhat presentable I am composing this thread of tank build progress and water parameter logging in hopes of helping fellow reefers learn from some of my experiences. Now, a brief history of my marine aquarium experiences. I was engulfed in this thrilling hobby via a start up company by the name of Jellyfish art. At the time (the year of 2011) I was intoxicated by their seemingly simple, straightforward product. A full fledged jellyfish aquarium that one could purchase for a relatively low cost and have shipped to their doorstep. Fast forward a couple months and I made the move, purchasing the tank kit. While I did a lot of reading on local and international sites regarding marine animal husbandry I fell for their clever marketing and neglected the information that read. A month after the tank was up and running I felt confident in the fact that it was biologically mature enough to support life. I contacted the company behind the product and they agreed! So in tern I ordered a live jellyfish from their website. Long story short the Jellyfish did not live for more than a matter of several days. This brought both great discouragement, but it also garnered inspiration to provide the best environment possible for the life that was my responsibility. Throughout this ordeal I made regular trips to Great white Aquatics and was exposed to the more realistic idea of a FOWLR tank, and the enchanting idea of a reef tank. Then, while being more successful then I should have I made all the beginner mistakes. Started with a ten gallon tank and power filter, fallowed by a Biocube 14 (throughout this time using tap water and being lenient in the way of water changes). I then hit a point where I felt comfortable pursuing a full fledged reef tank and sump. This tank being the result of enlightening research, RODI water, skimming, proper lighting, and well planned up keep. +Some hard work.

Current Status of My 40B Reef Tank:
FTS;

View attachment 14745

Livestock (Work In Progress)

Zoa/Mushroom Garden (Only 3-4 of these frags were purchased, the others are from personal growth).
View attachment 14746 View attachment 14747

Other Various Colonies
View attachment 14748 View attachment 14749 View attachment 14750

RBTA and Clowns:
(The clowns and anemone came from Scott (Scchase) reef tank. Thanks Scott!)
Their a male and female pair.
View attachment 14752

View attachment 14760

View attachment 14759

Thanks for taking a look, any questions or comments are more than welcome!

Equipment and parameter overview coming very soon. In addition to a 40B stand build overview.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Wow, Killer aquascape!!!! I really like that, seeing some of these smaller tanks layout nicely like yours makes me want to get a smaller tank lol.

Curious are you planning to add an additional led panel in the future to get better coverage on the edges, or are things responding well on the edges as is?

Thanks! The plan is to eventually add a single bulb T5 fixture with an ATI bulb for greater coverage to compliment the LED's. While its magnified in the picture I'm not quite getting 100% coverage. The corals though are thriving, I am only running the light at about 75% intensity and my zoas, mushrooms and other softies are growing well at the edges of the tank. The reason that they are not up front and center is due to to the fact that most of the colonies came from a tank illuminated purely with PC bulbs.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Awesome job on your tank. I hope I can get my aquascape to look as good. I am working on a 40b build too. I will be using 2 mp10's for flow though. You cold get a wavemaker controller for the Koralias but I hear they click on and off fairly loud. I have 3 Korallia nano's in my 17 gallon without a wavemaker and feel like it's not enough flow.

Ordered my first ATO today. Went with the JBJ with an Aquallifter pump to return water to the sump. I will post my setup and brief review of the product come Saturday (that is if amazons shipping estimate is correct). Anyone have any tips for using this system?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
WalkPrazz;260187 said:
The aquascape in the initial post?
Yup! I think they has some issues with pics along with the other problems they have been working on. I think they have worked out the pic thing but not sure if they can bring pics back. I'd love to see some killer aquascape! Sounds like you got some skillz.

If you could try again that would be much appreciated, they seem to be loading now! Although that is only on my Mac, and not on my mobile device.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Such a small tank, I think a big and behind rocks small koralia would be good. No wave granted. WP25 from RC sounds like it'd be too strong regardless of setting potentially. If you're up North I could let you try a WP25 when mine arrives.