Word of advice - stray voltage

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is a do as I tell and not a as I do. If decide to check for stray voltage turn everything off and turn things on one by one. I was a dumb*** tonight and decided that since I forgot my multimeter at the office, I would turn things off one by one and see if I still got shocked rather than turning everything off and see if I got shocked when I turned something on. Needless to say, I got myself good about 15 times. Lol

P.S. always use a multimeter when checking for stray voltage. 120V can kill you if you dont observe the proper shocking procedures that I used.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
One of my old school ceramic heaters. It was time for me to update to a new titanium heater anyway.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Take the black lead and connect it to the ground of an outlet. If you dont have long leads, then you can use an extension cord and plug into that ground. Take the red lead and put it in your tank. Check both AC and DC. If you have less than 5V, then there is nothing to worry about. If you have more than that, then turn everything off, turn things on one at a time and see what piece of equipment causes the voltage to rise when it turns on.

Tony44

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks way better than unplugging everything sticking my hand in the tank and plugging one after another in until I get shocked

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not to derail the thread here -- but quick question: Which titanium heater are you going with? I've run the abhorrently massive Eheim Jager 300W for quite some time. While it works well, it's ginormous and won't properly fit in my sump...so it sits in my overflow. (I also keep a 200 in the sump for backup)

All the reviews I've read on the titanium heaters (I've found) were scary. That's the only nice thing about the Jager -- it just works. Looking for good heater advice!

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ayaws;342997 said:
Not to derail the thread here -- but quick question: Which titanium heater are you going with? I've run the abhorrently massive Eheim Jager 300W for quite some time. While it works well, it's ginormous and won't properly fit in my sump...so it sits in my overflow. (I also keep a 200 in the sump for backup)

All the reviews I've read on the titanium heaters (I've found) were scary. That's the only nice thing about the Jager -- it just works. Looking for good heater advice!

Stick with the eheim jager heaters they are awesome! If you can't fit a large one run 2 150w's adds redundancy for the wintertime if one dies.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ayaws;342997 said:

Havent decided yet. Either eheim jager, finnex, or via aqua. Ive had good luck with all three.