2w 445nm blue laser vs aiptasia

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
2watts, ouch. I don't have Aptaisia, but have a 1W Wicked Arctic S3 Blue waiting to test out!

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;214473 said:
Because they eventually come back at least mine have. I've had 3 different cb and they get rid of em and either die or I get him out in time before he starves and they come back.
Ya my CBS eat pe mysis as well as aptasia! The laser is pretty cool! Like when I was a kid zaping ants w a magnifying glass!:)

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I now gave personal experience with 700mw 1400mw 2200mw and soon 3100 mw. In my opinion unless you are using something at least 2000mw and above your going to do more ****ing them off and spreading it everywhere than killing it. Also an adjustable focal length is a must! I use a piece of black cardboard stock to adjust the focal length first as its just to hard to tell shining it in the water. There is a fine line between cooking the bastards and just ****ing them off for a few days. If you cant get the right angle and focal point to completely lase the thing to pieces within 10 seconds then its not likley to kill them. The fact is there it is just not always possible to position the laser to kill them. One thing i have found is to combine the laser with some pepermints. They learn and will follow the beam around to eat the remains like bbq. Just gets annoying after awhile because you have to start shooing them away to avoid burning their little heads. Lol

Kalgra;214924 said:
I now gave personal experience with 700mw 1400mw 2200mw and soon 3100 mw. In my opinion unless you are using something at least 2000mw and above your going to do more ****ing them off and spreading it everywhere than killing it. Also an adjustable focal length is a must! I use a piece of black cardboard stock to adjust the focal length first as its just to hard to tell shining it in the water. There is a fine line between cooking the bastards and just ****ing them off for a few days. If you cant get the right angle and focal point to completely lase the thing to pieces within 10 seconds then its not likley to kill them. The fact is there it is just not always possible to position the laser to kill them. One thing i have found is to combine the laser with some pepermints. They learn and will follow the beam around to eat the remains like bbq. Just gets annoying after awhile because you have to start shooing them away to avoid burning their little heads. Lol
I agree with Chris on everything except minimum wattage. I own a 1.3 watt from lazerer.com. It was only 180$ and it works great. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer a 2+ watt unit but I was not willing to spend 500$+ on it. My 1.3 W has an adjustable focus and my tank is 99.9% aptasia free. I also kill pest macro algae with it A laser is a must have piece of fish tank equipment and for around 150$ my 1.3 watt is something many of us can afford.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im not saying a lower wattage wont work but the usable penetration under 2 watts dosnt seem to be much more than 5-6 inches at best IME. In most cases I think people are going to need something with better penetration.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Kalgra;214924 said:
I now gave personal experience with 700mw 1400mw 2200mw and soon 3100 mw. In my opinion unless you are using something at least 2000mw and above your going to do more ****ing them off and spreading it everywhere than killing it. Also an adjustable focal length is a must!
Dang that sucks, sounds like my 1w isn't powerful enough. If I ever get Aiptasia I'll test it out though. Just ordered an extra pair of goggles and the expanded lens kit for my Arctic S3.