36 bowfront setup help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just picked up a 36g bowfront acrylic tank. I need some help as to what I should do with it. I want to drill it for sure but I'm not sure how and where to put the holes. Can you tell me what size holes and bulkheads I will need!! Pumps? Skimmer? Let me know what you think. Thanks

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can get an overflow kit from glassholes.com. I'd get an swc 120 or 150 depending on load you plan on having. Return pump is based on how many times you want to turn the tank over. Meaning how many times you want all the water cycled from sump to display. General rule is you don't want to turn the tank over more than 10 times an hour. You can drill next to the overflow and run the return through that or run it up the back and over the tank. But I'd drill it near the overflow and run the return that way. What do you plan in keeping in it?

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Keeping a Full reef of soft corals and some tangs. Just picked up a 20g Wetdry today and I would like to get it drilled and plumbed by next week. Just need to figure out what I need and get some ideas.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
O.O Some tangs? Imo some tangs is way to many for a 30 gallon and even one tang is maybe pushing it. Unless you plan to put tiny ones in with the plan to move them to a bigger tank semi quickly.

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Of course. I was thinking about that too. I'll probably get one little tang then when they grow a bit ill throw them in my 75. It's mostly gonna be a reef setup. Some cardinals maybe not sure yet.. still going one step at a time. How big do the holes have to be and what size bulkhead for the overflow so I can pickup tommo. I'm gonna do a up and over the tank return.

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Come on let me know what size holes to drill and what not. Lol dang tang popo..

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think a 1 inch bulkhead would be ok in this situation... But I'm not sure what size hole that requires...

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I always drill 1 1/2" or bigger anything smaller runs to big of a risk getting something clogged in it. I would also suggest a sump instead of a wet/ dry but that just my opinion. Glassholes.com does make great overflows that are ready to go and come with your bit to drill. I would suggest having at least a 10x return meaning i would search for a pump with roughly a 300gph at 5' head as i assume your pump will be under the tank. Skimmer is up to you but i have a good one i will be selling here soon that might work for ya otherwise u just need one rated for 50gal which isn't to hard to find. Also a small tang is fine in a 30gal just limit it to one and some cardnals and that'd be cool looking. Good luck with the setup!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
1.5" bulk head with a threaded male end through a 1.5" hole would work just fine. Use the male threaded side through the bottom of the drilled hole with an "O" ring between the fitting and the glass, get a same size female threaded on the top side, same thing, use an "O" ring between the female fitting and the glass. Youll definatly need ot get an over flow kit like Bumblebee mentioned, the sell all types and configurations, so that will depend on what type of over flow your wanting, whther it be in the middle or on the corner. Youll dirll your hole for the bulk head behind the overflow on the bottom of the tank, plumb it down into the sump, return it back to top of tank.

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sounds good. Great answer. My tank is acrylic also so I assume its safe to drill the bottom?

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also where do I find the box to go in the corver for the drilled bottom overflow? Glassholes does have those?

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
reefmaster719;182610 said:
Also where do I find the box to go in the corver for the drilled bottom overflow? Glassholes does have those?
Hmm not positive on the corner over flows but i bet they do have them. You should be fine with drilling the bottom just be sure it is suppoted well under the tank on the stand.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
reefmaster719;182611 said:
So use a 1.5" bulkhead for a 1.5" hole??
I like the 11/2" bulkhead that use a 2" hole but that might be over kill. A bulkhead that uses a 1 1/2" hole is a 1" bulkhead

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Your right, wasnt thinking clearly, the hole would have to be bigger than the bulk head, however, the threaded end is sually slightly smaller than the over all diameter fo the fitting itself. I would say buy the bulk head, measure the size, and drill accordingly.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;182615 said:
Your right, wasnt thinking clearly, the hole would have to be bigger than the bulk head, however, the threaded end is sually slightly smaller than the over all diameter fo the fitting itself. I would say buy the bulk head, measure the size, and drill accordingly.
Lol thats what i do!! Ehhhhhh this looks like a close enough size

Status
Not open for further replies.