36 bowfront setup help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
reefmaster719;182618 said:
So you think a 1" bulkhead wouldnt be good?
Depends if u put one or two, if u do one go with 1 1/2" if u do two go with 1". I personally have always done two over flows for security purposes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Should I put them right next to each other? Sorry for all the questions. Just don't want to mess my first drilled tank up lol. How do I know where to put the holes.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Most overflows will come in a double or single. Its not gonna be alot of volume so i would assume a single overflow would be sufficient so long as u use an adequate size.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think you would be fine with a 1" would be fine flow wise I'm running them on my sumps I bought some covers for mine to keeps stuff out of the line

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you did 2 you could do one in each back corner, if you just did one you could go one corner or dead center or offset center... Anywhere you wanna drill the hole!!

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So if your doing a 1" bulk head it will be 1" PVC and the hole you drill will be like 1 1/2" depending on what kinda bulkhead you buy

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you think it will eventually get clogged? What's the biggest bulkhead I can use on a 36g?

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
reefmaster719;182653 said:
Do you think it will eventually get clogged? What's the biggest bulkhead I can use on a 36g?
Shoot you can go as big as you want I just got a 3" and put it in for my setup in the basement

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I went to lowes looking for a bulkhead. They handed me a shower drain 1.25 inch. I didn't know what to think. It has the shower screen and everything on it lol.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
You'll need to go to a pond supply store, irrigation supply store, a fish store or some spa places have bulkheads as well. Just know that fish stores are generally the only ones that sell the bulk heads we usually use in the hobby. The others will have a wider pipe thread so the hole will need to be bigger than a aquarium one, even though the inside pipe size is the same for both. Hope that makes sense.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Slip fit means you slip the pipe in and use PVC cement. Threaded is threaded, you'd use thread tape or pipe dope to seal. If I could do mine again I'd do threaded so I could take it apart in case I needed to...

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Slip slip means both sides of the bulkhead are made for PVC to slip into it.

Thread slip usually has threads on the outside connection and slip on the inside

Thread thread both have threAds

It's all a preference I have been getting the extra hd ones from bomgars in Brighton and been getting thread thread that way I can take them appart if needed. Also. I've been putting strainers On all mine so snails can't get into them so they just screw right in

Status
Not open for further replies.