Achilles Tang

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alright so I FINNALLY got one on its way from Live Aquaria, I have had an up and down experience with LA however they always honor their warranties and seem to be the only reputable place that I could find one without massive amounts of ich or way over priced. So I have a few questions as it will be arrive onTuesday. I would like to hear any advice any current or past Achilles owners have to share.

1. Copper treatment or No? I can’t seem to find anything saying they have a negative reaction to copper like some angles do. Has anyone used copper??? Did it work??? How did the tang do after you transferred him into a copper free environment?

2. What did you get it to eat?? I have plenty of mysis and brine on hand along with veggie pellets and leaf. What worked... what didn’t work???

3. How big of a QT tank do I need?? I currently have a 30gal up and running and have used in numerous times. However I’m starting to think it might be a little small.. Thoughts?? I have a 60gal that I think I could use and have been kicking that around??

I want to have the best possible chance of keeping this thing alive on the first try, I currently have a Sohal, Yellow, and Tomini tangs that are doing great and will be removed in order to bring the Achilles in so I know my water chem is good enough and it’s a very well established system so I am hoping for the best but to have the best results I need some experienced advise!!!

Thanks

Derek

Plus I Don’t want to loose a 280.00 fish cuz the ol, ladywould KILLLLL me!!!!

mdrumm

Butterfly Fish
1. Copper treatment or No? Not at first. Very sensitive fish. Keep him in qt for observation. Treat as needed.

2. What did you get it to eat?? I have plenty of mysis and brine on hand along with veggie pellets and leaf. What worked... what didn’t work???

I got my guy on OGO (dried hawaiin algae) and then brine shrimp. He know eats nori, roggers reef food, mystis and natural algae in my tank.

3. How big of a QT tank do I need?? bigger is always better. I had mine in a 55 gallon but he was also over 8 inches.

I want to have the best possible chance of keeping this thing alive on the first try, I currently have a Sohal, Yellow, and Tomini tangs that are doing great and will be removed in order to bring the Achilles in so I know my water chem is good enough and it’s a very well established system so I am hoping for the best but to have the best results I need some experienced advise!!!

If you have a reef you most likely have ich and the achilles will find it. The trick is to keep them eating. When they stop eating and have ich, you are in trouble.

Good luck

My big boy:

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's the kind of advice I'm looking for. I'm not worried about him getting a mild case of ich but I want to insure he dosent take any into my main tank right away, same goes for other parasites and such. That for the advice mike.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

mdrumm

Butterfly Fish
people will disagree but IMO if you have a reef, you most likely have ich. Your fish can fight it if they are healthy. When you put an achilles in, it will get ich. The trick is to monitor it and make sure he eats while he has ich. If you are in my neck of the woods, I will give you some roggers and some ogo. Just pm or email me.

Mike

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
mdrumm;154766 said:
people will disagree but IMO if you have a reef, you most likely have ich. Your fish can fight it if they are healthy. When you put an achilles in, it will get ich. The trick is to monitor it and make sure he eats while he has ich. If you are in my neck of the woods, I will give you some roggers and some ogo. Just pm or email me.

Mike
+1 I agree ich is always present in a tank. I read in one of Julian Sprung books how the parasite is always present in a reef tank. Clearner Shrimp and garlic in the diet always helps. IMO

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I also agree, the more sensitive tangs can be ich free for years and have one stressful event and boom they have ich. Keeping this in mind I also believe the sensitive of the fish to ich can be strengthened through proper quarantine and proper feeding and feeding variety. These fish are obviously far more susceptible to falling ill with it however I firmly agree with some information that states different levels of severity when it comes to ich as well as a difference in number of breakouts. I personally feel that a tank where ich is actively visible is an unhealthy tank and is unacceptable. That just me though

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Its here its here its here ..... ever seen a kid get the gift he REALLY wanted???? Yep I'm that kid lol

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That sucks. Hope they are easy to deal with on their livestock guarantee.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
They were very strait forward and simile to deal with. They require 24hrs before u can actually declare a death not just stress. The lady said no problem and they will ship one in 14 days bummer I have to wait that long but oh well.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea Tuff break, now of course they are out of stock so I have to wait prob another month for one to become available. .....