Air exchanger questions

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So basement is humid but is also cold. Would an exchanger help or hurt my situation. Also do air exchangers have filters because I would think you need something to keep bad chemicals and what not from getting in.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Less humidity means more temp swings. What bad chemicals do you want to keep from getting in? What are you doing around your house? Just be careful the once or twice a year that you might fertilize or spray for bugs.

If you just want less humidity, then try a dehumidifier - they will heat the air up a bit too.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Problem with dehumidifier is it will not only work to clear up room, but shoot your evaporation up and is a lot of power. An actual ERV type air exchanger minimizes the loss of heat/cool air when outside is different than inside. (IE not freeze the house like an open window would.) If you were to say just create an outflow, I guess you can have issues with air pressure and such is why even if not a true erv you should allow for 2 way air exchange.

In my situation which hasn't happened yet. I'm looking at ERV type deal, or possibly making sure my ac/heat is drawing air from that room, or just trying to button up the sump room a bit more and running skimmer air line outside.

Part of me was also wondering, what about a more passive dessicant. Literally a ton of those little packets or even just trays of rice. Once they start to get some absorbtion going, scoop them up to go dry in the sun and repeat?

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;644675 said:
Less humidity means more temp swings. What bad chemicals do you want to keep from getting in? What are you doing around your house? Just be careful the once or twice a year that you might fertilize or spray for bugs.

If you just want less humidity, then try a dehumidifier - they will heat the air up a bit too.
It's not me that I am worried about. It's all the other yahoo's I am worried about.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well my problem is twofold I do not necessarily mind the humidity but the person living in the basement does also the cold temperature in the basement makes it rather uncomfortable again for the person living down there so trying to find the solution to cure all problems

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I agree on the sweater. I'm also a miser when it comes to the thermostat.

But humid cold is a whole different ball game that we don't have to do here in CO. In my experience, humid cold felt SO MUCH COLDER than the regular Colorado cold.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
JodiI;644731 said:
I agree on the sweater. I'm also a miser when it comes to the thermostat.

But humid cold is a whole different ball game that we don't have to do here in CO. In my experience, humid cold felt SO MUCH COLDER than the regular Colorado cold.
Ya i am stiff with thermostat.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I keep a window open a little bit most of the year in my basement. Keeps the humidity down. Not sure if that's an option for you... Where is the closest window?

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;644832 said:
I keep a window open a little bit most of the year in my basement. Keeps the humidity down. Not sure if that's an option for you... Where is the closest window?
The closest window is about 5 feet from the bottom of the stairs

We run humidifiers in our basement master bedroom. It actuall helps keep the air a bit warmer. (By a bit maybe 2° warmer than without)

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can you rig up a small exhaust fan maybe? Like the kind you see in the ceilings of bathrooms? That may help some without spending a ton

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Legonch;644884 said:
Can you rig up a small exhaust fan maybe? Like the kind you see in the ceilings of bathrooms? That may help some without spending a ton
I have thought about adding and exhaust fan out the side of house hooked up to humidistat